Thread: 40cm head

Default 40cm head

My first son had a 40cm head circumference at birth - given it was a c/section - due to other reasons not size - I'm not surprised that it was bigger than possibly a natural birth due to the differing shapes they get as a result of the birthing process but his head has continued to be way off the charts. Also at birth his side and rear cranial plates were almost completely fused thus movement of the skull would have been minimal during the birthing process (or so I was told).

I suppose my question is I know it's possible to easily give birth to 10lb's etc but when there head is 40 cm circumference, the majority of the length from front to back, would that be considered a lot more difficult near impossible for the average person.

I reiterate that the c/sect was not due to size (rather that he was breach) and his head size had never been mentioned as a concern prior to birth - it was just one of those things after the fact that makes me reflect and wonder whether he could have come out naturally anyway given it's size and shape

Sorry for prattling

Yasin's head was 37 cm but after th birth it was all long and skinny (kind of like a cone head) not round.

Aidyn's head was 37.5cm, and until now I havent heard of anyone's bubs head being bigger than that, LOL!
    I think it is do-able though... I didn't even tear (just a graze) when I pushed him out

DH's was more a cone the other way front to back (rather than top to bottom) - so much so the paed had us propping his head so he couldn't roll it to the side to try and get it to flatten if there was enough movement left in the plates. I was given the impression by medical people that due to the fusion in his plates they wouldn't have been able to move enough to get the "standard" cone shape and thus would have been a hinderance in the birthing process (true?? I don't know).

Hi Girls

The bones in the babies head are all seperated so that they can squash up and veen overide each other. If some of these bones are fused it would be more difficult to give birth.

Also 40cm :boggle: The bigget I have known was 38cm and it was a vaginal birth

Ashlea's head was 31cm, and off the chart in the other direction! She was overdue, 6lb 5 oz, and a teensy little head!
    I was told because of my size and the fact that my pelivs is so narrow and she was engaged for a while her head couldnt have grown anymore anyway! They also said its highly unlikey i'll ever have a big baby or big head!
    I thought pushing that out was painful, so i cringe at the thought of a 40cm head!!!!!

Dee Emma's head was 30cm! And very much cone shaped, despite being born by C/S

Linda, was Emma full term???
    I remember comparing Ashlea's head to an orange, and now every time i look at an orange i cant believe how small her head was!!
    She came out with a perfectly round little head, and was still curled up in a little ball when they passed her to me. She has the book "sometimes i like to curl up in a ball" with a little wombat in it and it always reminds me of when i first held her!
    I must say, no matter how big or small their head comes out, it still hurts like hell, but i never got that burning pain people talk about

Dee, Emma was 3 weeks early, so classed as full term. But she definately had a cone head!! LOL