Thread: Acupuncture for bringing on labour

Akeesha Guest

Default Acupuncture for bringing on labour

Hi all,

I am due to have a baby is just under 3 weeks and will be attempting a VBAC. I have done alot of research these past few months on it and know it is in my best interests to go into labour naturally. My ob has said induction is not good for attempting VBAC cos it can only increase risks (albeit still very minimal) so he will only do ARM if I go over. (he will let me go 7-10 over though before he worries). If the ARM doesnt work then it will be c/s automatically because naturally they cannot leave me go on with my waters broken.

Anyway I have heard several good things about acupunture and how it can help to bring on labour and also assists in the longrun with the birth process.

I just wanted to hear of any success stories with any women here who had tried it and it has been successful or anyone you know of for starting labour.
    How many seesions did you need?
    When did you go? ( I will be just over 38 weeks at my first session)\

TIA
    Lisa

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lisa,

Don't forget to check out the main site for the article on natural inductions. I supported a woman last Friday who had accupuncture on the Wednesday afternoon, her waters broke on their sofa waiting after the appointment! So that was quick LOL.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Akeesha Guest

Thanks for that Kelly : )
    I can only hope it works that quick for me!!! Besides everything else I dont want to spend a fortune on continuous appts. But it's gotta be better than giving up and possibly having to opt for a c/s.

I have actualyl checked out that page you mentioned with teh natural induction methods and have it saved to favourites

I'll try anything twice lol.

I was actually going to email you a couple of weeks ago because I had a scare at the ob's with a possible retraction of support for my VBAC. Luckily everything went ok the following week and I was told VBAC is ok as long as I understand what risks may be involved. Which I do. I spoke to the middys about it and one said that VBAC is great and he has never seen issues and yes there are risks but they are very minimal. And the next week the other one said that in her experience of 13 years in all the VBAC in that time, and there have been several, she has never seen one ruptured uterus or anything go wrong at all.

So thats good.

So I am armed and ready to birth this baby. Now all I need is for labour to start lol.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Great stuff!!! I assume you have been to the birthrites website? It's a great place for info and stats and I am sure it has a study there that shows there are actually higher risks for a repeat caeser than a VBAC! The risks are low for both of course, but it showed VBAC as lower. So perhaps if you find it you can print it off and show your Ob - maybe you can even convert the Ob ROFL!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

sonsangel Guest

Hi Cuz,

Just wanted to wish [-o< you all the best for the accupuncture to work it's magic for you.

Will see you soon

Kirsty77 Guest

HI Lisa

Just popped in to wish you lots of luck with VBAC!I'm also going to be attempting that when we have our next bub!You have to let us know how you go.OH and good luck with the accupuncture, I have heard that it works!

A few weeks ago my friend gave birth after being a week od (she was trying everything!!). By this point her back was so sore so she had some reiki performed. After the the women finished she said would you like me to see if I can get this little to come and my firend said go for it!! So the reiki women did her thing and 2 hours later my friend went into labour!!!

I would like to say accupuncture brought on labour for me, and maybe it did, but I also think it will work only if bubs is ready. I had accupuncture at 38 weeks and Coco was born at 39 weeks. My other friend had accupuncture and her waters broke as she left!!! Along with the accupuncture I tried nipple stimulation and RLT. I also believe my chiropractor is the reason I came earlyand had a quick labour, as I was in perfect shape (literally, all straight..etc).
    Anyway, good luck, your accupuncturist might say it's worth going 2-3 times per week. I only did the once so Im not sure it was to do with that, but my friend will swear by it that her labour started because of accupuncture.
    xoxo

Akeesha Guest

Thanks guys,

Webmeg - I know bubs will only come when it's ready but being a VBAC contender and the risks of going over and needing a c/s I am prepared to try anything. I figure if nothing else it will make me feel better. I have heard it has an 88% success rate so I am willing to give it a bash lol.

Chookie - Reiki for labour?? I hadnt heard that one before but then I guess it's all abour relaxation and natural therapies and opening up your meridians etc. Glad it worked for your friend!

Kelly - I have seen the birthrites site. I have been floating around on that for some months actually. I have done so much research I think I have almost burned google out lol.

I found out something interesting yesterday. I was at my Grandads and had the urge to tell him about my previous c/s and how I am attempting natural. He told me my Nan (she passed away some years ago) had a c/s for her first birth and her last 4 births were all natural. There was no questons or doubts and she just did it and apparently well too! I had absolutely no idea about any of that.
    I find that interesting as I think it's a bit of a sign. Not to mention before I was pg with this one (a couple of months before) I dreamt of her and she handed me a baby and said I could handle it!! Hmm interesting if nothing else.

Anyway, hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year

Lisa