Thread: Advice on preparing the perineum?

Default Advice on preparing the perineum?

Would like some techniques and advice on how to prepare the perineum for birth, especially after having a 2nd degree tear in the previous birth.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Confidence my dear Birth in water makes tearing less likey due to the support it offers, I saw you posted that earlier - also relaxing your pelvic floor when pushing, letting it stretch naturally. Relaxing and trusting the process. You also had sholder dystocia with Lily and that is a positional thing, so think positive thoughts and trust your body to do it's thing. Women may tear in certain circumstances but it doesn't mean they will next time.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I answered a question about using an epi-no in another post earlier today. But I would have thought with 2nd bub it wouldn't be as much of a worry? Correct me if I'm wrong

Like Kelly said, relaxing the pelvic floor when pushing is important... so you can let the baby out. The epi-no can help you recognise those muscles so you're more aware of them. But then.. you've already had one baby.. so I don't know if it would help! LOL.

Good luck with your preparations

Tegan I was told by one of my midwives - who actually teaches about perineum repair to use alittle olive oil on your thumbs and insert them and getly pull down and out to help your perineum to stretch. Either you or Jacob could do this for you. Just a warning though, if you let Jacob, you might get more than you bargained for

Tegan I was given a leaflet from midwife during anti natal about massage techniques to prepare this area if your interested I could emial or send you a copy