Thread: The aftermath of birthing

Default The aftermath of birthing

Hi All,
    I just wanted to say how scared I am of all the bleeding after the birth. I don't know alot about it really, just that it generally lasts for 4-10 weeks, and you have to use pads.
    This is the bit I'm dreading... I have never really used them! From about AF 2-3 (at the rip old age of 11) I used tampons cause I found pads really, really awful. Like really bad. They smell, you have to carry around big packages, they leak when sleeping, you have to wear big undies (G girl here! ), they bunch up, you can't wear trousers without feeling like everyone will see and the list goes on...
    So what am I gunna do when it comes time for all this. In all seriousness, I am more worried about this than the birth!

Does anyone else feel the same? Or are there some great options that I dont know about?

Hi Fi

pads are very slimline now you wouldn't even know you are wearing one. The maternity ones are extra long as well to prevent any leakage, and they also have wings to protect the sides. it is quite normal to bleed for 6wks after birth.

Love :hbeat:

I was the same as you.........100% paranoid about pads. But honestly, once you have your little one in your arms, you just won't mind!

Yep it is a bit inconvenient, but honestly, it wasn't an issue for me......I got used to it quickly and was so wrapped up in Olivia that I didn't care. (I bled for 6 weeks.)

Like Kathryn says, pads these days are nice and slim and designed well. (Although I have to admit I prefered the big chunky ones believe it or not...nice and snug and secure and comfy!)

HTH........

I also bled on and off for 6-8 weeks.
    But it was really only the first 2 weeks of bleeding where I needed to use the chunky maternity pads (I agree with Lucy - they made me feel more secure!) I also like the larger ones as they would cushion you more, and are just more comfortable - considering that area is usually very sore and tender after childbirth...
    But after that I just switched to regular ultra thin pads with wings (and you can barely feel or notice them at all!)

I'm the same as you Fi and I was not too keen on the idea of using pads. However, I bought heaps of them during PG to stockpile everything and wound up using all of them! Like Ambah I only needed the chunky ones for the first week or so because I had a caeser in the end & didn't bleed as much. And I didn't even notice them after the first day... in fact I was glad they were there....

Melinda Guest

I wasn't keen on the idea of pads either as I've always hated the things and was a tampon girl! LOL I found that I had to use the maternity pads for the first couple of weeks and since then I've been able to wear liners or normal ones which is a relief. You can even get maternity pads that are slimline etc - I think I used Libra Goodnights.

Thanks guys
    I dont feel like quite such a wussy girl anymore. I guess it will be one of those grin and bear it things!
    Fiona