Thread: all things vaginal....hehehe.

Default all things vaginal....hehehe.

Hiya,
    Have started perineal massage in the last day or two and have been using KY jelly but was wondering if a natural oil (almond or something?) would be better for me in general? Or is it much of a muchness?
    Also started using EPO capsules internally and have found unless I put some KY jelly on them they hurt like nothing else......get stuck etc. Not nice! Anyway, just wanting some reassurance that using the KY with the capsules is ok (I'm thinking yes but if there is a better way.....speak up!).
    One more thing....probably the last thing I'll want to do when labour starts (?), but does perineal massage during early labour help things along?
    And how easy is it to check your own dilation? I don't want to be running to the hosp. and find I'm only 1cm or something....
    Hmmm, that's all

I was told to use olive oil for perineal massage... so I suppose that would work as well?

I tried to check my own dilation and couldn't but I was fat this pg, lol. It can be done and apparentle when your effaced it feels like your bottom lip. There is a site I found that explains how to do it.

Also I agree with Christy (lookin good there Christy) that olive oil would be good.

Chocolate,
    I wouldn't use KY but rather olive oil. I just don't know what effect the chemicals in the KY would have on the evening primrose - it may reduce effectiveness.

Perineal massage in early labour won't decrease the length of your labour. The first stage of labour is working to dilate your cervix - perineal massage though is thought by some to be helpful to alllow for the stretching that is required when your baby's head is born...

In theory you can check your own progress, however I find wiping my bottom difficult at 39+ let alone that!

Be guided by your contraction length and time apart. If you are only 15-30 mins from hospital it would be safe and advisable (if you have not had a prior quick birth) to stay at home until your contractions are roughly 30 seconds long and 5 minutes apart. Each birthing unit/centre/midwife will have their own guage on this but this is a general rule. Of course if before then you are finding it diffiuclt to manage the contractions or you are feeling afraid then go sooner. Contraction length and timing is usually a fairly accurate indicator of dilatation.

Good luck on your birthing journey. Wishing you beautiful labour vibes...

I'm literally about 4.5 minutes from the hossy which is great!
    I'll go the olive oil tonight.
    Thanks for everyone's input

KY jelly is fine as it is water based. But olive oil is also ok should you decide to use this. Perineal massage has no effect on early labour. The idea of perineal massage is to reduce the chance of tears by preparing the perineum for stretching. To check your own dilation would be a little difficult but not imposable. However I would no advise you to do this if your waters have broken.

Well 5 minutes away is pretty close! The longer you can stay at home in familiar environs the better.

I would still advise olive oil over the ky as Evening Primrose is not a stable oil and it's best to keep things as straight forward as possible to get the best effect from the EPO.

I look forward to hearing of your beautiful birth soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
    I look forward to hearing of your beautiful birth soon!
    SO DO I!!!! oOOH, BRING IT ON!