Thread: Amniotic Fluid...

Default Amniotic Fluid...

Is it common practice for the amniotic fluid to be sucked out of a newborns lungs (so to speak) once bubs is born? My DS was bringing up amniotic fluid for 2-3 days after his birth, as his wasnt suctioned out. I would hate to see (future) no 2 bubs to experience the same problem as It was a very scary time for me being a new mum.
    Could i request to have this done next time? is it dangerous for baby, or is it more dangerous for the baby to be vomiting it up for 3 days?

Most of the time the fluid is sqeezed out in the process of being born, but sometimes there is still a bit of it left behind. I can't remember any of mine being sucitoned either - but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, I just may not have seen it. But for the first day or so they did bring up a little bit of stuff but not much.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for you to request to have it done.

My DS was bringing it up every half hour or so?? My poor little guy.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Ally, both of my boys had problems with mucus, and they were both vaginal deliveries. They have both gone blue in hospital from the congestion, so I hear where you are coming from, it is really scary. The only thing that was mentioned to me was that sometimes a full feed from a bottle can help them to bring it up with a good chuck from the milk.

Oh Relle, Really? How scary, bubs turning blue, I would have freaked!! I will be more aware/prepared next time i hope!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I was far more able to deal with the gagging with Cooper. When Campbell went blue they actually had a woman who was crashing in the room next door, so when I ran out to get the midwife (with Campbell upside down over my arm) they thought I was going out for a sticky beak, till I finally managed to get out that my baby was blue, then all hell broke loose!!!!