Thread: antenatal classes?

Default antenatal classes?

OB is pretty sure I am having a caesar, because of Jackson weighing around 7.5 pound already at 30 weeks, but i still have to wait till 36 weeks to have scan etc. to confirm. i have a small pelvis, so a caesar was on the cards even if he wasnt a big bubba.

anyway, wuestion is, if i am having a c/s should i bother with the antental classes, would i get anything outta them?

and say by some slim chance i did vag deliver, would i be really disadvantaged if i hadnt had the antenatal classes?

Min,

I am not sure what format your anti-natal classes take, but mine were spread over 4 weeks and covered so much more than just the birth.

Things like pelvic floor excercises, pre and post natal exercise and health, PND, loads of new-born baby care, diet, relationship stuff, the "system" for baby and maternal health care after the birth, parents groups etc etc.

I was a bit reticent about going, but I am really glad I did.

So I guess it is up to you..............

Ours were different to Lucy's....

They went over 6 weeks & dealt with labour & birth for about 4 of those weeks. Other than the birth they did talk about nappies, breastfeeding, exercising post birth hmmm not alot more really.

Maybe check with your hospital what they do, might give you a good idea as I don't think there is a common cirriculum (sp?) as such.

our classes covered breast feeding, postnatal depression, labour and birth being natrual and c sections , length of hospital stays, post baby..etc etc

I would say to ask what your hospital's classes entail but im pretty sure they would still be worth going to

take care
    Lesley

Ours went for 4 weeks, and there were people in the class that were already booked in for c/s. They still got something out of them I'm sure!
    Like the others said, we talked about really good things like breastfeeding, settling babies, PND, and even birth stuff which I think would still be valid for you to learn about. You never know - you could start off with a normal birth early, and then go in for the c/s after.
    Its also pretty good I think to know about what processes your body goes through.
    If nothing else, it may help you meet a few other mothers that are due the same time as you, and get you networking. I really enjoyed ours.

Fi

Fi makes a really good point here:

If nothing else, it may help you meet a few other mothers that are due the same time as you, and gets you networking.
    I am still in touch and quite good friends with one of the girls I met at anti-natal classes.....we meet up for coffee or a swim once a week and our babies are only a week apart so we can really chat & get good advice of each other......plus have a laugh.

(I amazed myself at keeping in touch with her actually, because my theory always used to be that "just becasue we both have babies the same age does not mean we will be friends" but you know, I am so glad I got out of that cynical habit!! I now NEVER undervalue to support network of other mothers!)

thanks ladies, i think we will at least go to a few and then evaluate if we are getting anything out of it. have already paid up, although only $20, so that isnt really an issue.

only issue is the time involved, is a weekly class on a wednesday night 7pm-9pm for 6 weeks, a lot of juggling involved with DH's work seminars and training nights, plus is past my bed time!

Min,

Mark and I attended our first Antenatal class last week, ours cost $110 and run for 4 weeks for 3 hrs each Thursday night.

We both learnt a few things in our first class which we didn`t know about - considering this is Mark`s 3rd child and he went to classes with his first wife I think thats a good thing.

Last week we covered nutrition during pregnancy and after, learnt all the terms they use, watched 1 birth and 1 couples birth experience, had a lady come in who will photograph your newborn baby and put photos on DVD then put a song to it a very lovely idea.

This week I believe we`re learning how to keep ourselves relaxed during birth, in the weeks to come we`re going to have a look around the post natal ward (delivering elsewhere), how to get to our birthing hospitals - what to do when we get there/where to park. Also covers the baby after birth and a lot more.

Take Care

Deeanne

Do you do the antenatal classes at the hospital where you plan to give birth? Are the classes covered by provate health cover of any kind? When do you normally book in for the classes (as in , at how many weeks would you normally start going to them)??

I think it varies Karina.

I gave birth to Olivia at Darwin Private and the classes were held in a lecture room off the maternity ward. And it was organised through my private OB, and was "free" in as much as it was included in my fees to him.

But for this next baby I am having (in SA), I will need to book it independantly at the hospital and pay (I thinkit is $100 for a 5x2hr course), but my private OB fees are a lot cheaper.

So I think it really varies. Best to check it out with either the hospital or an OB.

Karina, they like you to take Antenatal Classes as close to your due date as possible, I guess so everything is still hopefully fresh in your mind when bubs does decide to come, as I said in my other post I started last week when I was 33 weeks and mine go for 4 weeks for 3 hrs.

Yes you can get some of the fee back on Private Health Insurance, well we do we`re with NIB.

My Antenatal Classes are being held at my postnatal hospital, I`d be delivering there also but they don`t have enough OB`s to have the delivery suitye open (they do have one just not in operation) so I`m having bubs at another Private Hospital - 1 hr from home and being transfered to this other Private Hospital for Postnatal care which is only 30 mins from home.

Take Care

Deeanne

I also think that antenatal classes are great - my DH and I learnt so much from them, it is also great to meet people in the same situation as you at the same time.

Ours cost $100 for 5 weeks of two hourly sessions 7pm - 9pm - all the women always looked tired! It was at our hospital and covered many other topics other than labour.