Thread: Anyone taken castor oil?

Question Anyone taken castor oil?

As a form of natural induction?

Don't do it!!! My sister took it and had bad diahrea and vomited....she ended up being induced after going 8 days overdue.

The idea behind it is that it stimulates the bowels to contract (hence the diarrhea everyone talks about) and because the are in a similar area, it *may* cause your uterus to start contracting as well.

I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard that it can stimulate bubs bowels as well & cause them to pass meconium, which you definitely don't want. So I'd make sure if that one's true or not before trying it.
    Last edited by {sarah}; March 26th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    I did it with 2 of my 4 Earth babies. I just got really really sick! I vomitted and pooed all day and into the night. Oh, and no baby!

Sarah is right it can affect the baby and it can cause problems with contractions.

There are far gentler, safer and more effective methods of natural induction...

I didnt try it, but I was also advised by a few midiwves not to use castor oil.

Danni, can I ask if or why you are considering it ??

Isn't Junior breech ??

I tried it with Tehya and it is bloody aweful. Made me poo and gag and feel like spewing but nothing else.

Goodluck hun

I did it under midwife advice with doses and the like. I also didn't try it till I was 2 weeks overdue and would never do it till over due. I have heard women doing it at 36 weeks and I thought that was pretty wrong.

Anyway, they told me the dose and the best time of day to try it. I didn't get sick although it stimulated the bowels like it's supposed to. 6 hours later I was in true labour. I was 42 weeks and 3 days.

I might have been going to go anyway....who knows? I had already cancelled one medical induction and was adamant I was not going to be induced, so I left the castor oil till I became desperate.

So for me it worked, but it could have been a coincidence. The midwives did seem to believe in it though. Had my bub 7am the next morning