Thread: avoiding the tear 2nd time round?!

henry'smum Guest

Default avoiding the tear 2nd time round?!

Greetings,

thanks for reading me. I'm looking to chat to anyone who has any advice regarding avoiding a perineal tear in my second baby's birth. I had a nasty 3rd degree humdinger with my little (big) boy and am desperate for it to not happen again. If anyone has any previous experience that is similar to mine I would love to hear how you got through number two. Looking forward to hearing from you...

Sorry that I can't actually offer an personal experience as far how to avoid the tear when it ocured the first time. But with both of my 1st 2 pg's I used perineal massage from about 37 weeks on to help stretch the area. Both of my boys had (what I think are) big heads. My first was 36cm & my 2nd was 37cm. I only had slight grazing with my 1st & pretty much nothing with my second.
    Liek I said I am not sure how different it would be for you seems scar tissue would be a factor I guess. But I hope someone else can she dsome light.

Hi,

Im not sure of the circumstances of your birth but in my opinion a contributing factor to me tearing was that i just went for it with the pushing. When i went in to have my 2nd i told my mw i wanted to be guided with pushing so that i wouldnt tear again (i felt the tear the first time) and she did that and i had a baby with a bigger head and just a graze.

A third degree tear is very serious though so im not sure how that would go. Mine was second degree. But thats what i did to avoid it anyway, listened to my mw and asked her to guide me.

henry'smum Guest

Thanks Kristi & Fiona, it's nice to hear some different advice. I guess I should explain what happened when little mr Henry was born. I was in 2nd stage for about 2 hours, so it certainly wasn't from pushing too hard too quick!! I delivered his head with no drama, but when his shoulders came through that is what caused the damage. He was just so broad I think. I remember my mw was trying desperately to push against my perineum to prevent a tear. Sorry, a bit sketchy but I never really got a clear answer from anyone what had happened, and I was so drugged up and exhausted after the fact I never really asked why?! If anyone else out there has any advice I would love to hear it. My ob has advised against an epidural or episiotomy. I am hoping if I keep in a positive frame of mind I will be ok this time!

here are a few old threads about avoiding a tear and related topics how to avoid Tearing in labour?
    keeping the perenium intact
    perrineal massage
    episiotomy in subsequant labours
    HTH