Thread: b/h or contractions

Default b/h or contractions

i have been getting b/h for a little while i think about every 20 mins but also at some stage they can not be painful but i can feel my tummy go hard and then after a min or so it goes back to being normal. Otherwise they feel like peroid pains, Also bubs has been very quite today and i think bubs head is starting to drop as i have been getting sharp pains in my ho ha.
    Can anyone help to know what is going on, with Madison i was induced so i didn't go through any of this.

Melinda Guest

With BH I felt my tummy go hard too and it would quite often feel uncomfortable, and then it would go away.

With the sharp pains - I got them too - and they were very stabby-like. I was getting them for several weeks before Jacob was born, but they'd stop me in my tracks wherever I was (quite funny being at the supermarket and people thinking I was going into labour when I wasn't - I just had a sharp cervix pain LOL!)

With the proper contractions, I found myself wanting to do things like stand in a certain spot or rock or something like that to get comfortable and they were definitely period-like as well as being in my back. At the time I was unsure as to what was happening, although being overdue I thought something was going on! I had a bath and a couple of panadol and they kept going, so it was all happening alright!

Good luck!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Labour Signs - Could I Be In Early Labour? - I have written this article with lots of information on distinguishing contractions from braxton hicks.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

when i posted last 2 days ago the b/h lasted for about 1 1/2 hours but today i have been getting them on and off for about 4 hours at the start i was getting them 2-3 min apart, i took panadol and went to bed and rested got more like peroid pains then, got up after 1hr and had a shower and got one as soon as i finished i am getting them every 20 mins or so but also a alot of peroid type of pains, also tummy is sore but that could be because of bubs moving also i got dignosied with UTI yesterday and i am on antibotics for that.
    If you sort of know whats going on it would be great if you could let me know, Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

As my article mentions, labour contractions do not stop - they keep going constantly. They get stronger, longer, closer together and are more consistant than 3 mins, then 20. I *think* from memory UTI's can cause some contractions / braxton hicks but not labour contractions. Don't worry too much, your labour will start soon enough and when it does you will know - you wont be here asking us if you are in labour, that's for sure! You wont be able to talk through them, walking will make them stronger and you wont be able to sleep through them.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

If you're unsure, remember you can always call your hospital and ask to speak to a midwife who should be able to help you with your questions. I know I found that really useful when I was unsure about what was happening!