Thread: Baby #2 - 'incubates' longer than #1??

A's Mamma Guest

Default Baby #2 - 'incubates' longer than #1??

Hello

I'm new to this site, although not all that new to being a mamma (we have a one year old who acts like a terrible two!)

My question is, do second babies generally stay inside longer ('til term?) compared to firsts, or, if my first was a bit early the second would be too?

I'd like to hear from anyone who had an earlyish first birth, what happened with the next one? (or from midwives who see and know all )

The reason I ask is that my first was born at 38 weeks, and not a moment too soon honestly, as from about 34 weeks onwards, you name it, we had it (preeclampsia, supposed GRD, constant reflux to the point where I had to sleep sitting up (couldnt!) etc etc etc)

Of course there are no guarantees, but a bit of peace of mind (or preparation) would help!

I hope to hear from you soon,

Amy

Hi Amy,
    I went 41 weeks with the 1st and 38/39 with the rest. I think they can all be a bit different!! Good Luck.

There is no hard and fast rule about this Amy. My first was 1 day early according to dates, #2 was 4 days over and #3 was right on time. Just be prepared as early as you can so everything is ready in case you do go early, and if you go over, you wont have to worry about any last minute packing.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Usually the first is longer:

According to a study on ‘The length of uncomplicated human gestation’ by the Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, they found:

”For primiparas (first child), the median duration of gestation from assumed ovulation to delivery was 274 days, significantly longer than the predicted 266 days. For multiparas (more than one child), the median duration of pregnancy was 269 days, also significantly longer than the prediction. Moreover, the median length of pregnancy in primiparas proved to be significantly longer than that for multiparas”
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

A's Mamma Guest

thanks for your replies:) ALthough i know it could go either way i guess I'm hoping it will again be early:)

Amy

#1 was exactly 41 weeks & #2 was exactly 41 weeks, so I guess #3 will be anywhere around there too???

But I was the same vomiting after plain toast for breakfast at 36+wks due to reflux/heartburn! As you can see my gorgeous little girl was super hairy!!!!