Thread: Baby movement prior to birth?

Melody Guest

Default Baby movement prior to birth?

What is the general consensus on movement patterns prior to labour?

Hunter has been an overactive baby from 20 weeks & in the last week he has cut his movement down by 95%. However, all of a sudden he will just freak out & start banging around for an hour.

Did you experience a period of 'quiet' prior to going into labour or is it quite normal for an active baby to stay active until the end?

Does the baby move when you are in labour?

I did find that things went quiet a few weeks before birth. And similar to you, she would go like mad for a painful hour or two, but otherwise was heaps quieter. I didn't notice too much movement during labour, but I wasn't that focused on that either.

Amy was active till the end but I think we had a quiet day a few days before I went into labour...I can't remember exactly and it's only been 5 weeks, sorry.

Custardtart Guest

I didn't notice any slowing down of movement with either of my girls, and I'm starting to wonder if this little fella will either, he's VERY active and it is starting to be quite painful.

I'd be surprised if anyone noticed their baby moving DURING labour, normally you're so focussed on pain control that anything else becomes peripheral. I certainly don't remember any baby movement at all during either labour.

Kerrie

I noticed Nicholas's movements slowed down quite a bit in the last week or so before labour.

Melinda Guest

Jacob still rolled and moved about as much as he ever did. It was amazing to watch him roll from one side of my body over to the other!! It was like a tidal wave inside my stomach! LOL

As for movement in labour, I couldn't tell you - I was too focussed on other things.

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby was fairly active to the end but I was induced a few days early so I don't really know what she would have been like if I had gone into labour on my own.
    She just loved it when the CTG monitor was on me. She'd go nuts! Especially when Neil started talking. I would have to press the movement button heaps when he had a good chat to her.

Melody Guest

Thanks so much for the feedback ladies.... it has reassured me that there are no hard & fast rules here & every baby can differ so I should just relax & let Hunter do what he needs to do.

I had one of those "Oh God, something is wrong, something feels wrong" moments last night (which was far more heart wrenching than anything I have ever experienced before in relation to my little guy) so this helped more than you know.

At this late stage, as a first timer, it is hard to know what to feel regarding my body/imminent labour. This helps.

Mel

Zahra really slowed down in movement - she was induced but as you know, was well and truly ready to come out!!

As for movement during labour, none that I noticed, other than the little mites (all 3 of them!!) turned posterior during labour!!!!

Hope Hunter comes out really soon! Can't wait to see him!!

Best wishes

Mel, William was a maniac from the first time I felt him kick, he kicked so much more than Nyah did, but towards the end, as they run out of room, they have no choice but to slow down, but dont worry about it he's ok.

Dont remember the movement towards labor as the pains were to annoying. 8-[

I remember Yasin moved during labour but I didn't notice it much becaue the contractions sort of overwhelmed the sensation. He managed to give me couple of final kicks on his way through the birth canal - defintley a weird sensation having your vagina kicked from the inside.

Brooke M Guest

Hi ladies

I was generally too worried about the pain when in labour with Oliver to notice any movements, but DH and I do have a distinct memory about him moving during the pushing stage - his head was crowning and all of a sudden quite low in my tummy you could see his feet thrashing around! My OB was having a giggle as he was putting pressure on his head to stop him from coming too fast, and Oliver's little legs were kicking furiously trying to help himself out.

They are such amazing little things!