Thread: Balloon pressure induction

Question Balloon pressure induction

Okay... my midwife was discussing my birth plan with me & how having a VBAC limits some options of induction. Which is good because I don't want to be induced anyway...

BUT... one method she said they use in VBAC's is a balloon induction. Where they insert a small balloon inside your cervix & it is attached to one on the outside of the cervix & they are blown up a small amount, a few hours later they are blown up a bit more, etc etc to help "stretch" your cervix out. I was wondering if anyone knows more about this method of induction? And what its real name is LOL?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've heard of it, its used with VBAC women but not all hospitals do it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

My friend who gave birth about 6w ago had this method of induction and it wasn't a VBAC. She had a previous vaginal delivery (also induced the same way I believe).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yeah it can be used for anyone but just a better choice for VBAC women who arent put on the drip or use gels. Using the drip / gel increases the risk of rupture so they dont like to use that.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

Aaaah. I should ask her if there was any specific reason why that method of induction was used for her. Like you say it can be used for anyone, but it was the first time I'd ever actually heard of it being used as most of the time you hear about drips/gels being used.......

tiggy Guest

Christy,
    It is called Extraamniotic Catheter Balloon, where a foleys catheter is inserteted above the internal cervical os (so just inside the cervix). It is blown up using normal saline, small amounts over a period of time. It is supposed to be a more gentle method of ripening the cervix. Often used for women who are having a VBAC. A definate favourite of my friendly doctor.
    HTH