Thread: Are baths ok after birth?

Default Are baths ok after birth?

Hey there,

Just have a quick question relating to after giving birth. I had to have an episiotomy which has left me very tender and sore atm. Does anyone know if its ok to have a salt bath? I asked 2 midwives who said no as water can go back into your uteris and another said yes its a good idea and doesnt see why not as you can give birth in water. Just dont stay in for hours. And while i was still in hospital a midwife gave me a salt bath that you put over the toilet and sit in which did wonders!
    Just a little unsure and wondered if anyone know the right answer?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Salt baths were suggested to me too to help with my episiotomy. I had a few and they were great, definitely helps with the healing.

I had stitches, but no an episiotomy...I was told that salt baths were fine, but 15 mins or less as longer than that can risk disolving the stitches too much.

I love them! I had one everyday after I had my episiotomy with Lindsay and it was heaven. The hospital I was in had this funny chair you would put a bit of warm water in and add the salt and you would just sit in it.

Yep Salt baths for me too, only ouchy bit was when my slightly grazed & tender nipples hit the salty water!!!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I was definately encouraged to have salt baths by the midwives at my hospital after both of mine (one tear, one episiotomy) and loved them. Made things much more comfortable.

Thats great.. thanks so much!

Baths are fine

Baths are Fine. Yarrow and Callendula are great. You can buy the herbs(as for tea) make them up and put them in the bath instead of drinking them. They are both well known healers.
    You wouldn't expect before birth that the water would back flow into your uterus. Why would it happen after.
    Lisa