Thread: Beer and Bubs Workshops

Talking Beer and Bubs Workshops

At the PUB !!!

I took SIL for her 4d scan on Friday and found a brochure on the counter for this.

This is what it says on it

Give Birth With Good Support

This one-night wrokshop is designed to teach partners everything they need to know to support a birthing woman. It's perfect for first time dads or for those who have been there before but would like to be more prepared this time. We focus on the content not covered in the hospital antenatal classes including
    • what to say and what not to say during childbirth
    • great ideas for helping with pain relief
    • how to be an advocate for the birthing mother
    • practical tips for supporting each stage of labour
    • chat with a dad who delviered his own baby

It the goes to give the details and cost of $50 pre person incl. pub dinner
    Drinks additional
    Expectant Mums may also attend

"This workshop exceeded my expectations - a surprise to a confirmed cynic ! Real - world info, excellent speakers and a great birth video at the end."

I think it's a great idea. And we know that most men will make any excuse to go to the pub for a few. This is obviously the best one they could come up with. Good on them.

What do you think ??

Last edited by Trish; January 21st, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

I think they would be a great thing for guys to attend.. especially if they dont know to many other men that have little kids already, that they can talk to.
    I have heard of them before. I dont know if they do them in Perth, but i brought dh "being dad" which was basically just interviews on all different guys on different aspects of pregnancy and childbirth, which both of us found interesting, and lighthearted as well.

I think that is a brilliant idea, I hope they have something like that when we're expecting, DH had his first at 17 - actually all were born by the time he was 21 - so now that he's in his 30s it would be good for him to be "taught" all this again!

That is a fantastic idea - I can think of plenty of guys who would be open to a birth class like that.

What a great idea! I think it is a top plan for a few reasons........

1. Great marketing on the pubs behalf....... it is a great way to maintain custom and the extend the "lifecyle" of the pubs demographic.

2. It would be a far more relaxing environment for guys to "learn" than the hospital.....I know my DH HATED our ante natal classes and has since "warned" all his mates not to go! But he is MORE than happy to give his mates his thoughts and experiences of birth and takes the whole support partner role very seriously, but simply hated the enivronment of the ante-natal classes.

Good on the pub!

I've heard about this before, but have never been able to find it when i need it I think its a brillian idea - comfy surroundings for a man, with other men, just having a chat about baby stuff over a dinner and beer

Yeah I think the fact that it isn't as In Your Face as hosp classes are is what makes it appeal more to men.

Wish I'd had that idea. Hun just off to the pub to talk to men about babies and birth. Be home later, don't wait up, I will have dinner while I'm there. LOL.

I think its a great idea. Good for those guys who wont go to the hospital ones.

Yup, sounds like the perfect answer to the guys who feel threatened or embarassed by a bunch of women practicing breathing at a hospital!

Percy Guest

A friend of mine in Woollongong went to this course a couple of years ago and raved about it - apparently its pretty good!

If only we were in Sydney!!!!

What a top idea!!!
    Hey Trish don't suppose you could email the details. I'd love DH to be more prepared for next time....

All done Kim

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have spoken to the woman who runs it, I am pretty sure it's 'Your Birth' - she's also a doula.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I think its a fantastic idea as well.

Funnily enough just the thought of it is making me hungry - pub meal mmmmmmm

Anyhoo... I think its a great way to get men to go to the classes!