Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being told to push before you're ready

Default Being told to push before you're ready

Does it make a difference if you're told to push before you're ready to?

I was at 9cm and was asked if I had to push & I told them no I didn't. They asked me to try anyway. I'm not sure how long it was that I was trying (with no guidance, I had no idea what I was doing) but it may have been about half an hour. Could that affect the way my labour turned out?

YES!

We are supposed to listen to our bodies.. we get the urge when its time.. in the meantime bubs might be trying to get in the right possie otherwise it can take twice as long iykwim?

I listened to my body and it worked wonderfully! I also read somewhere it can stall things if you push before ready.. is that right kel?

*hugs*
    Cailin

tiggy Guest

Sarah,
    YES, it can effect your labour and your ability to push when your body is really ready. Alot of the time, if women push before they are fully dilated and have that overwhelming urge, their cervix can swell and you can actually go backwards, especially in first labours. If something happens, that is unexpected, your body will automatically put on the stop lights!

Sarah, from what i've heard, pushing before you feel the urge can cause a few dramas, but the one that sticks in my mind is that the cervix can swell and make it really hard for bub to come out
    Now i have never had a natural delivery, so someone correct me if i am wrong

I'm the opposite and always push before 'they' think I'm ready. If I feel like pushing, I'm pushing unless they tell me the baby is in danger of course. Its an instinct.

Hmm this is very interesting... My midwife told me the next day when she was checking things out that I was very swollen from all the internals I had (this was just from the outside, not an internal) would I assume that if the outside was swollen then the inside probably was as well?

I am same as you Nat, being told your not ready, but actually feeling that overwhelming urge to push & sneaking a few in before telling them I feel like pushing!!!

Mind you I was told I was only 7 cms & then hopped in a boiling hot bath where I kind of fainted & saw blood in the water so panicked & got out immediately & then started pushing secretly on way back to bed as I just had too, then when I was up on bed I said I need to push & the MW said No your onlt 7cms, I still gave a few pushes & my Mum said 'are you pushing?' I nodded & the midwife looked & there was Maddy's head already!!!!

Definately trust your body, it's the only thing that is telling you whats really going on...
    Coz with Indah the trainee said it was my cervix & I was closed, but I knew I was close next nurse looked & said your waters will break any time now & shortly after Whoosh!!!! Luckily I didnt go home!!!

OOOH makes me excited to be at that exciting piunt in preg again... I could skip the 9 months & go straight into labour I actually enjoy it!!!!

I could skip the 9 months & go straight into labour I actually enjoy it!!!!
    Me and you both hon....I was trying to explain this to my brother (who has just found out his wife is 13 weeks pg, woohoo) that I LOVE giving birth and he was fascinated!

Natalie:
    I'm the opposite and always push before 'they' think I'm ready
    .....me too. With Olivia the midwife checked on my in the shower and siad "Lucy, are you pushing???" and I was, even though they had told me I had "hours to go".....Olivia came out about 25 mins later!!

Same with Charlie.....the midwife was trying to get me on the bed to do an internal and I was too busy in a semi squat push postition!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Lucy and Tracey, I feel the same way now! Not after No 1 mind you!

I think that is half the reason I want to be pregnant again, not only to enjoy the pregnancy, but also the sense of achievement I had after pushing No 2 out without any interference!!!

Does this make us mad????

Even my Obs commented that "women have an amazing ability to like the pain of childbirth and feel a sense of achievement in it - it is what sets you apart from us males!!!"

If only all men thought like him! hmmmmmmmmm

I think I am just so excited to meet this little human that I have created with a bit of loving from my DH... hee hee

I hate surprises & I used to always sneak to find my birthday & Christmas presents & so Pregnancy drives me nuts with the not knowing from beginning til end & then finally meeting this person that is all icky, gooey & yet so tremendously perfect in everyway... It's just amazing, such a rush & I am so glad I am not a guy... The feeling is something you just cant explain, your whole body is covered in such a tingle & oooh it's just a bursting amazing, experience!!! I love it & am not ready to not do it again.....

I dont think it makes us mad, although most of my friends call me crazy for getting so excited that labour is beginning etc & I am bursting with excitement!!!

My friends have all expressed fear & hatred for labour, pushing etc... I really revel in it....

I definitely dont hate it, bit I do dread the pain of it. I like pushing, but do not like the sensation of the babies head crowning. I always panic for a min or so until the head is out and its smooth sailing from there.

With Layla the MW asked me if I was pushing or dealing with the pain while I was standing next to the bed. I told her I didnt know, lol. She said to get on the bed, did an internal and said I wasnt ready to push - in fact had a long while to go. 5 mins later Layla had popped out onto the bed, the nurse was saying 'oh *****' and running to get her little roll of tools. She was born in her coul (sp). Special right from the start!!

Nat, the MW told my sister to get a maternity mattress (Pad) & as the head began to crown run the pad under hot water & then use the pad as a compress against the crowning head as the heat from the pad neutralises the crowning sensation... I did not have any pain from crowning with Maddison & pushed her out easily & quickly... I forgot the info with Indah & noticed that streyching/burning sensation..

I HIGHLY recommend the hot pad against your twat as the head is crowning!!!!

Oh thank you, thank you

You've made my day, because thats the only thing I was really worried about. I love you Tracey!!!!!!!!

Shucks, your not too bad yourself Nat, I am thinking I could come & push for you too if you want!!!!

Seriously though it totally went numb & no stretching feelings AT ALL, it was a pure delight!

Please remember it though coz I forgot with Indah & screamed at the MW not to let my Clitoris burst (it felt like it was a fully inflated balloon about to burst!!!)... I reckon the hot pad would have neutralised that!!!!

OOOH cant wait to see this little one & hear all about the pleasant birth!!!

Yikes I think I grew another feather.... cluck, cluck, cluck

HIGHLY recommend the hot pad against your twat as the head is crowning
    Charming turn of phrase, but SO true.......I have heard it REALLY works, so thanks Tracey, for reminding me.....will remember to scream out "get me a hot pad against my twat" when the time comes! LOL!

LOL. I didn't really have the burning sensation. I do remember the OB helping to stretch it over the head, and that hurt a bit, but that was in the last push to get the head out.

When I told the mw that I think I'm pushing, she said to just push. The ob arrived not long after and did an internal, and confirmed we're ready to push - well duh! Then he told me to get up on all fours to try and turn the baby a bit, he was a bit sideways

I have to say Tracey.. that I enjoyed labour too. I was losing the plot a bit during transition.. right before pushing.. but other than that I quite enjoyed giving birth! Next time I want to be a bit fitter so that the breathing doesn't wear me out. LOL. I found it really tiring in the end to breathe through the contractions.

I know that clucky feeling I'm soooo looking forward to going through the whole process again. I loved being pregnant!

PMSL Tracey - weren't you the one who said some rather interesting expletives during the birth of your latest

Ony not to let my CL*T burst... Heck I need that if I wanna be DTD well into my 80's & 90's!!!! hee hee!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast