12345 ...

thread: BellyBelly's Screening: The Business of Being Born - Post-Movie Discussion

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Kelly, I'm so excited, I can't wait to the see it! I'm really looking forward to the night, and I'm bringing a girl from Mother's group along

Feb 2006
    Mlebourne

I am really looking forward to it, but a little scared too...I cant bare the thought of us becoming a carbon copy of what the states are

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

YAY Sez

M - from what I understand we are a little different, they seem to have a strong culture of the pit/epi mix resulting in much more instrumental birth, where we are similar but more c/s than US. But I don't think we are far off. You will watch it and see so much of it being just like here and now. Didn't shock me too much, as you know, we see it often already... I wonder how many women will watch it and it will hit home vs be in denial!!!

Can't wait to see you, now that will be a highlight after all the sms's!! x
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Jun 2007
    Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne.

if i put ds in his hab can i bring him to the morning session?? let me know if it's a problem to bring bubs as i may be able to organise dp to mind him at night, but would be much easier for me to come to morning one and bring him....

Feb 2006
    Mlebourne

YAY Sez

M - from what I understand we are a little different, they seem to have a strong culture of the pit/epi mix resulting in much more instrumental birth, where we are similar but more c/s than US. But I don't think we are far off. You will watch it and see so much of it being just like here and now. Didn't shock me too much, as you know, we see it often already... I wonder how many women will watch it and it will hit home vs be in denial!!!

Can't wait to see you, now that will be a highlight after all the sms's!! x
    Oh Kel, we will just be like long lost buddies!!!! x

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Yup Gracie, babes in arms are welcome... its just too graphic in some parts for older ones thats all. I just had a room full of women agree with me who have seen it tonight.

M - Only diff is that you have seen me before and I haven't seen you!!! :P
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Jun 2007

thanks kelly, i'm gonna buy my ticket right now!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Okay Sam (Raven) now you have seen it!!! Feel free to pass on your thoughts, feedback, reviews etc without giving away too much of course
    Kelly xx

Jun 2007

do i just give my email address at the door to get in? paid via paypal last night. i'm really looking forward to it. i love ricki lake!

Feb 2006
    Mlebourne

Yup Gracie, babes in arms are welcome... its just too graphic in some parts for older ones thats all. I just had a room full of women agree with me who have seen it tonight.

M - Only diff is that you have seen me before and I haven't seen you!!! :P
    Arent you just a little scared???

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

It's an awesome film!
    It is fast paced in the way it is edited so you need to concentrate to take it all in. In a couple of places it feels a bit hectic but it really gets you thinking about how and why things work the way they do with birth.

I have had some time to digest the message and I think that it is trying to make women understand that they need to trust in their bodies. We have been conditioned to accept that medicalised birth is the norm and happily submit ourselves without question. Women need to stop and ask why are they being rushed along? What is the urgency? Who's best interest is being met here?
    Mine...My Babies...the Dr's...or the Hospitals Coffers?

Ok so sometimes they need a little "jumpstart" but women need to know that by submitting to one procedure they are putting themselves in a very vulnerable position and leaving themselves open to more and more interventions and having an outcome that is so far removed from what they want.

It gives a balanced view by including a hospital transfer and emergency c-section at the end of the movie. By showing that it reinforces that homebirth doesn't leave you on your own abandoned without medical help. Midwives are trained professionals and have drugs and oxygen on hand if it's needed. Also if there is need, it is quick and easy to up and go to hospital where medical assistance is on hand.

The home birth scenes are AMAZING! So beautiful and calm. I teared up a few times (as I do...I can't help it ).

The footage of what they used to do to women is the disturbing element. It is absolutely NOT suitable for children. It is scary and even now thinking about it makes me feel outraged and saddened for my grandmothers generation who were subject to that level of abuse

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Oh Sammi, you've got me even more excited about it! I feel a bit hesitant now though, I'm sure I will find it quite upsetting. I hope I don't cry too much........happy tears are okay but not distressed ones.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

One week to go!!!!
    Kelly xx

Aug 2005
    Melbourne, Victoria

I'm so excited for this!

I wanted to see it from when i first heard about it, but seeing as it was showing in Syd and it was almost 2 weeks after i was due (it turned out to be the night before i gave birth in the end!) there was no way, and i thought i wouldn't get to see it for a long time..

Although if i went, maybe i could have avoided making Kelly fly home from Sydney!

And I'm excited to meet lots of people from BellyBelly

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

6 days to go!
    Kelly xx

Jul 2005
    Rural NSW

Great review Raven Now I'm really looking forward to it!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

5 sleeps
    Kelly xx

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Ummmm, Kelly, something tells me that you're really excited about this!

12345 ...