Thread: Are birth plans necessary?

Default Are birth plans necessary?

I never made birth plans for my previous 2 pregnancies as it was never discussed by the midwife, and so we didn't know anything about it. Both my pg's had to be induced, as they were both lazy babies, but we were never asked if we had a birth plan, so we just went with the flow. It didn't really matter anyway, as the first labour was 3 1/2 hours, and the 2nd was 11/2 hours.
    We now have to go to a different hospital because we are having twins, and we don't know yet if we will have a natural birth or a c/s.
    Do we need a birth plan? How do we do one?
    All advice will be gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Karla

I never had one with either of mine... Both my Mum & Dh knew EXACTLY what I did & didnt want!!!!

Yvette on here has twin girls & she did the most intricate of birthplans, it was great to read through... Hmm, I diont know how to link it, but maybe someone else will as it would be awesome for you to read!!!

Congrat's on your twins.

I don't think you 'need' to have a birth plan. I had 5 dot points lol and they did me fine. I also found the midwifes spoke to me about what I wanted on all of the major points which was great.

But I also know people who had quite detailed birth plans and they worked well for them.

I think it just depends on the hospital and the staff and your support people.

I never had one with either of my boys and this one I have a few key points written down like how I want an active birth etc, so to keep offering me natural pain relief instead of hard drugs lol.

Love

I never had a birth plan for any of mine. I knew what I wanted, but was open to anything depending on the circumstances. You dont know how you're going to feel when the time comes. Ive had 6 spontaneous vaginal births, but all have been very different. There are so many who say that they will never have this or that, but the situation warrants it so they accept it.
    Congratulations on your twins

Thanks heaps everybody. I think we'll just go with the flow again. It worked before!

You don't need a birth plan if you are happy to go with the flow, its more for if you want specific things, like having/not having drugs etc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You don't have to, but I am currently writing an article on this and the benefits of a 'birth plan', which I am working really hard to help facilitate the word change to 'birth preferences' or 'birth intentions' - much more flexible!

I think there are many benefits - it presents a great opportunity to discuss with your partner what you want him to advocate for you, it presents you an opportunity to think what you would like in certain situations, if you have specific preferences that you want to aim for, a midwife who reads it should help you as best possible to acheive that - or if you hire a doula she can read it and help you work towards that... so many reasons that it can be useful, but like I said, they are not essential, something you can do and be of benefit if you have a goal you'd like to aim for or if you want to be specific about something you do or don't want to happen during labour and birth.

Birth Plans - Are They Worth It?
    Last edited by BellyBelly; August 10th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with Kelly, They are not essential, but they pose a great opportunity for you and your partner to become aware of your preferences and writing it down can help you have a stress free labour. Particularly if you had something last time and you definitely don't want it again. I think it really helps DH's/Partners to know what your feelings are about certain things (pain relief) especially if the unlikely happens (Em. C/S), he can really act as your advocate as he already knows how you feel about certain things. Nothing is set in stone though so if you change your mind about something that's different to the plan it's really not going to matter.
    I like to write mine and have DH read it so he can be aware of my preferences also really makes things visable and eased in my mind, before the big event.
    Congratulations on you twins.

We did not have a written one, but DH and I had already discussed our preferences. As we went to the family birth centre, the midwives already automatically knew the type of birth we were after and actaully asked a few of questions when we checked in.

DH and I had the attitude of "this is what we are aiming for, but if there is a need, we will have intervention".

I didn't do a birth plan as the hospital's policies and what my midwife advocated were all pretty much what I'd want anyway. I briefly discussed with my DH what sort of labour/birth I wanted but it kinda went in one ear and out the other I think LOL. I did type up short list of points and hints for him that I intended to give him around 38w (and also intended to put a copy in the labour bag) but I was admitted into hospital at 37.5w and never got around to printing it off LOL.

I had one thanks to Yvette and was glad that I did. I wanted a natural birth (doesn't everyone?) but ended up with an emergency caesar after 20 hrs and only getting to 3cm as the cord was around Amy's neck twice and her HR was dropping. My waters broke first so I had to deliver within 24 hrs because of the risk of infection. The midwives and OBs had read and understood my birth plan and held off inducing me for as long as possible and did not push me to be induced at any stage. Also, I was adamant that I was not having Pethadine and was not offered it because it was clear on my birth plan. In my plan I had a section on caesareans if required so I was not stressed at all that it happened and did not have regrets because she had to be born this way or she could have died or been brain damaged. So I am all for them but everyone is different.

I did have a birth plan, but it was literally 5 points, such as yes we want vitamin K, no we don't want Hep B vaccinations.

The rest my midwife and DH knew and we all had similar ideas. Besides, things can go any which way on the day.

I hadn't even heard of having a birth plan until I joined BB! Even though I won't need one for a while they sound like a great idea to be able to collect your thoughts and impart them on others.