Thread: c/s due to high bp

Default c/s due to high bp

just wondering how many of you had to have a c/s due to high bp?

my bp has been increasing slightly each week and they are now starting to get a little concerned about it.. i have an appointment with my ob next week.. i have none of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia and so far no protein in the urine sample

if my situation does escalate to pre-eclamsia, what are the chances i will have to have a c/s??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There are medications you can take at first instance to help control it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey sirenz

as Kelly said...you can take medications to control your BP

if you have high BP it does not immediately mean that you will need to have a c/s your DR will review your health and your baby's well being and use this information to make a decision.

If your BP is stable and you and the baby are well, then there is no reason that you can just proceed as normal, and have the birth you want...they may want to do regular fetal monitoring (connect you up to a little monitoring machine that graphs the babes heart rate) during pregnancy and intermittently in labor to ensure that all is well

if your BP is slightly unstable your Dr may recommend an induction with an epidural...an epidural helps to reduce BP (decrease BP is a common SE) and they may want to avoid sustained closed glotis pushing (chin to chest pushing) as this increases your BP too

if they did want a c/s it would be because your BP is effecting to blood supply to the placenta and therefore decreasing oxygen/nutrient flow and waste removal for your baby

hope this helps...good luck at your appointment

xx yogababy

I was induced as i had PE, my bp was very high and ob preffered me to have an epidural. We agreed that he would let me labour without one as long as BP remained relatively stable, if it started going up i would have epidural. i laboured for 5 hrs without one, then bp started going up. (incidently i had a mobile monitor on, and was not on bed at all)
    I was glad i was induced, bub had stopped growing and placenta had started to die. Ob showed me placenta, and i could see the infarcted areas. She was only 2.6 kg at 39 weeks.
    Good luck with it all xxx

I have heard, but dont quote me on it, that some women's bp will increase slightly leading up to the birth. I was on three diff meds to bring mine down when pg with my DD but in the end I had PE so bubs was delivered, normal VD @ 31 weeks. My bp was controlled still by the meds during labour and no one even mentioned an epi to bring it down.

Ange- I had seen a few pics of what a healthy placenta looked like, then to look at mine I was stunned to think that that was what was sustaining her. It looked so pitiful.

My BP jumped from 'normal' 135/75 to 165/115 in a week, then preceeded to rise upto around 175/126, over the next few days.
    I am not 100%, but I think meds are used more like you say, if BP is creeping up.
    Meds were not an option for me, don't worry i asked!

I developed PIH with my first - very high BP, protein in the urine - so I was induced at 38 weeks. I also had an epidural as that was recommended to me and I needed to have BP meds intravenously while I was in labour to keep my BP down. After Harry was born I was monitored for the next 12 hours in the labour room and then also had regular BP checks while I was in hospital, but in the end everything was fine. So it is possible to have a vaginal birth if you develop PIH, in fact a c/s was never mentioned to me at all, but that could also have been because I was at a public hospital.