Thread: Change in scent - a prelude to labour?? **Possible TMI**

Default Change in scent - a prelude to labour?? **Possible TMI**

Has anyone noticed a change in their scent prior to going into labour? Seeing as labor is set off by a hormonal chemical response in the body, I figure the build up of certain hormones might seep through the pores. The reason why I ask is I've noticed a change in my own scent in the last two days (currently 38 weeks) and I'm curious (and I'm procrastinating from doing other things). It's really hard to explain how it smells... it's kind of sweet and sour at the same time. I don't have a particular comparison I could make.

Anyone who has seen my posts elsewhere is going to think I'm obsessed with smells....

Yes. I think you must be. Or very desperate to procrastinate. It's an interesting idea though. I can't answer as I didn't go into spontaneous labour.
    I will pay close attention and get back to you in 4 months or so.

I have not noticed a change myself, but then it was not something I looked (or smelt) for at the time. However I do recall a conversation between some midwife friends where they talked about the smell changing in a labour room at the onset of 2nd stage, and using this as a diagnostic tool. I'll try to find a reference for this, but it would certainly suggest a link between scent and labour.

Wow. That's really interesting. I was just sitting here thinking that all I could remember smelling was that weird hospitally smell.

I think it was homebirth midwives who noticed the smell more, in a hospital it would be masked by antiseptic.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I'll ask her if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    However I do recall a conversation between some midwife friends where they talked about the smell changing in a labour room at the onset of 2nd stage, and using this as a diagnostic tool. I'll try to find a reference for this, but it would certainly suggest a link between scent and labour.
    LOL... I know that smell. I would say it's like a combination of sex and wet grass.

I could just have a very sensitive nose, because I could always tell when my daughter was going to have a fit because I could smell a metalic scent on her breath and could tell my nephew was diabetic before he was diagnosed. I can't wear perfumes or shop-bought deodorants because they make me sick - that's why I know it's my scent and not something I've put on myself.

I've found the conversation, and an article about the scent of 2nd stage (most midwives describing it as smelling like sex) but I cannot post the links here as they are to sites with forums.

I would imagine if you have a sensitive nose, that you are indeed smelling something that is indicating hormone changes. However I wouldn't go so far as to say this will likely mean labour soon, as we all know pre-labour (and hence the accompanying smells) can last for several weeks.

What a fascinating discussion - I wonder if that's how some animals can tell whether their owner is having a boy or a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Keike View Post
    I wonder if that's how some animals can tell whether their owner is having a boy or a girl?
    Can they? I haven't heard of that one before!

how do you ask them whether it's a boy or girl?

One woof for boy, two woofs for girl?

ROFL Marcellus

I've heard from a few people that their animals would act differently towards them depending on whether they were pregnant with girls or boys - for instance, one girl's husband had a cat, which didn't like her, wouldn't go anywhere near her. The whole time she was pregnant with her first baby, the cat jumped into her lap whenever she sat down, and she had a boy. With her next pregnancy, the cat still wouldn't come anywhere near her, and she had a girl! Most interesting

No, see, what happened was that with the first pregnancy the cat was affected by the woman's pregnancy hormones and became more affectionate. Then, the baby arrived. Second time it was not fooled into thinking this was a good thing.

Gotta spread the love M, you're seriously cracking me up recently

It seems probable that scent would be related to the hormonal changes. My DH has noticed a change in my scent since bub was born. We can only assume it's hormones - nothing else has changed. I haven't noticed anything, but then my nose only seems to be ultra-sensitive when I'm pregnant.

Yeddi - with a nose like that, you could make a fortune in the perfume industry, if it didn't make you sick