Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: children during labour/at birth

my mum is too far away, but i guess this would be the only one i would ask to be outside...
    my sister just had a baby 2 weeks ago.... and not sure she would handle it very well.

might have a talk to mum when closer... it will take her 3hrs to get here though when in labour

Smile

Pinkpalace, I know what you mean by private person, with my first daughter I only planned to have my hubby in the room but after 18 hours of labour I didn't care both my mum and dad were in the room, so when it came time for our sons birth mum and dad came in to watch little miss for us it was great and well worth having her there.
    Are you going to a birthing unit? Or a labour room? If it's a birthing unit they're more relaxed and you'll find the support person not so necessary as in a labour room.
    Hope this helps,
    Snoopea

Well I hope your mum can make it. I only had mine there for my 1st. I wish she was there for the others, but she had DD1 when I had DD2 & was 10 hours away when I had DS.

My children have all been at their siblings birth - excepting Imogen of course who was born by c/section at 28 weeks!

I think personally that is such a rich experience for children and parents. It is truly beautiful. I had a friend / sil who was the childrens carer and that went well. I didn't have an issue with their being an extra person - it was very important to me that my children could share in the joy and wonder of the birth so that extra person came with the package iykwim?

My children still talk about the births, excitement etc. I shed a happy tear each time I recall my births and my children's little faces staring in wonderment at the miracle of birth. It has helped instill a very "normal" air around the very "normal" experience of birth. Something I believe is really lacking in our Western culture.

My children felt cheated that they couldn't be there for Immy's birth - they didn't get why they couldn't welcome her as they had welcomed the others. My eldest DD was terribly disappointed that she couldn't "cut the cord" - she has done so for both her other sisters and her brother.

It's important to ready your kids. Talk to them, show them books, videos. I used to practice "the noise I will make to help the baby come out". We would do it while driving, cooking etc - to make it very very normal.
    "Hello Baby" is a very helpful book about a home birth. "Happy Birthday Baby" is another about a hospital birth but it is very beautiful also.

Good luck with your decision - children have such limited times when they can experience the birth of their siblings - it is a very special and sacred thing I belive.

My Mum asked me to think about having Steph at the birth of new bub (but not the boy). I asked the Man about it, and he doesn't think it a good idea. He doesn't think that she would cope well with all the ruckus of me being in pain (if its anything like the birth of Steph, 26 hours of labour). I see his point, but he would like my Mum to be there. She has offered to have Steph there and mind her, but if Steph isn't there, then I don't think I really want Mum there. That probably seems a bit mean. Last night when I went for my ultrasound, Steph was very unhappy, I think because she thought I was in pain or the ultrasound person was hurting me. That kind of made me agree inside that the Man might be right about her not coping, and I don't want that playing on my mind and distracting me at the birth.

Since you had such a quick labour last time would you consider using a doula and have a home birth, that way your dd is at home in her environment and can do what she wants and be there for the birth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12