Thread: Choices for Childbirth starting next week in Geelong (VIC)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Exclamation Choices for Childbirth starting next week in Geelong (VIC)

Choices for Childbirth classes are starting next week in Geelong!

Geelong Choices for Childbirth sessions for 2006

Full cycle

Natural birth is it possible?*
    Gain understanding to support your birthing potential - 13 September 06

All about birth
    Labour, birth and what to expect. - 20 September 06

Labour pain*
    Understand pain dynamics and how to prepare for them - 27 September 06

Supporting the birthing woman
    Practical information and guidance to support a woman in labour and birth - 4 October 06

Breastfeeding
    Getting the right start with confidence - - 11 October 06

Sleeping like a baby
    Gentle strategies for adjusting to life with a newborn - 18 October 06

Additional sessions

Home birth
    Accurate info for you to consider this option - 25 October 06

Vaginal birth after caesarean
    Accurate and empowering info for the birth you want - 1 November 06

* Rhea Dempsey presents Natural birth and Labour pain

Choices

There are many choices to make when you are pregnant. You’ll need to choose where to have your baby, who will provide your maternity care and attend the birth, the type of birth you want and whether or not to have certain medical interventions. Confidence in decision-making relies on a firm grasp of all the options available.

Choices for Childbirth provides women and their partners with information not generally available in hospital antenatal classes and a forum where women and their partners can share their experiences and support others.

Our sessions

* Can be attended as a full cycle for complete antenatal education or individual sessions of your choice

* Can be attended pre or during pregnancy. You are encouraged to attend early for appropriate birth planning

* Welcome your support people, single parents, midwifery students and same sex couples

* Include optional involvement in post birth reunions

Our philosophy

* Encourages a woman-centred approach to the birth process

* Regards pregnancy and childbirth as normal physiological processes, not illnesses

* Acknowledges the social, cultural & psychological factors influencing childbirth

* Advocates midwives as the primary caregivers of women in normal birth

* Emphasises women’s rights to make informed choices about their caregivers and place of birth

* Promotes continuous assessment & critical evaluation of technologies used in maternity care

Our presenters

Our presenters will provide accurate information based on current research. They include midwives in private practice, childbirth educators, lactation consultants, consumer organisations and parents.

Times and location

Choices for Childbirth will be held on Wednesday evenings beginning 13th September 2006, for 8 weeks.

Sessions begin at 7.30pm - Sessions start on time - please arrive 10 minutes early

All sessions will be held at: Geelong West Senior Citizens Hall - Corner Autumn and Pakington Sts

Prices

Full cycle - Special introductory offer:
    6 sessions for the price of 5, includes a 12 month membership to Maternity Coalition and a subscription to Birth Matters, the Journal of Maternity Coalition Inc.
    $100/$75 (conc.) per couple Support people are free.

Individual sessions - $20/$15 conc. couple

What people are saying about Choices for Childbirth:

Birth is perhaps the most wondrous experience a woman or man can have. Choices for Childbirth provides parents-to-be with the information they need so that they can make the best choices for their pregnancy and birth. Men particularly benefit from the personal experiences that are discussed at 'Choices' courses as it is rare for them to be able to get such pertinent information elsewhere. - David Vernon, editor Having a Great Birth in Australia and Men at Birth.

Choices (Brunswick) was instrumental in me learning that homebirth was not dangerous, and that I was justified in being disappointed in the care I received as a private obstetric patient for my first birth. I learnt that in water was a good place to labour. I confirmed that continuity of care with a known midwife was something to strive towards providing for all women. - Kelley

Being witness to the transformation that women (and their partners) have when attending Choices reconfirms to me that information, education and support will change not only individuals but as a ripple effect, alter the community's attitude to birthing. Deborah Loupelis – National Coordinator - Choices for Childbirth

Bookings - Spaces are limited. Please contact Mel on 0423 189 317 to secure your place.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i wish i could go!