Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothes after c-section

Red face Clothes after c-section

Hi, just wondering what kind of clothes would be best to take to hospital after I have my c/s? Undies-what type, I usually wear the bikini cut? pj's or nightie? and day clothes? Plus anything else you think would be appropriate to take to hospital for my stay. I have been told approx 6 nights. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Love

thanks, i think i'll go shopping for some new knickers. I already have the huge flannies.

Love

Hi Helen,

While I was in hospital I spent most of my days in comfortable tracksuit pants. My maternity clothes (jeans & skirts) came in handy too. By night I wore pyjamas. To be honest though, I didn't find my c/s wound a problem at all - it was more a case of finding clothes that fit around my left over baby tummy! As for undies, I'm normally a g-string girl, but after my c-sections I wore those Bonds boy leg undies.

I bought super undies from best and less before having Alex by CS last year - $1.50 for black ones. I think the physio or doctor also said something about wearing something supportive or firm over the belly area as well, like leggings. When I was in hospital I wore tshirts and long jammie pants. I bought a nightie especially to wear in hospital but didnt wear it and took it back !

I wore flanny pjs all the time, and change to a tracksuit just to go home in. I found the pj's rather hot though. So next time I will take a couple of singlet tops to wear underneath, so I can either take my top off or leave it open.

Hi Helen.

I was much more comfortable ater my second c-section as i had a better idea of what was more comfortable to take to the hospital.
    Underwear wise, like barbie-up said, something that is high waisted and has a stretch to hold yor tummy in. It helps support your belly and you actually feel better with the support too. High waisted is really much more comfortable for the wound area too.

As for clothes, i took a couple of button up nightshirts. Meant i had nothing around my waiste and nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. Also easy access if you intend to breastfeed. Easier for Drs and nurses to look at your wound when they come in to check it and also for your suppository painkillers. (sorry to be so blunt)

Good Luck!

When are you due to go in for the cesar?

HI, and thanks again.
    Lut- I am not due to go in for 14 weeks, but am staring to get antsy about getting organised.

Love

Suppository painkillers?? I didn't have them at all.

I definately agree on the granny undies. Mine was an emergency c/s so I was not prepared at all & my underwear was irritating my wound soooo much. I sent Aaron out for some & they were fantastic. I was very nervous about the staples so I had a pad covering them and it worked really well with the grannie undies.

For clothes I just took my maternity pants and a few t-shirts. I didn't want to be in pjs all day long feeling like a sick patient. My only issue was that I swelled up ssooooo much afterwards that my pants were all tight

For pyjamas, my mum bought me these gorgeous ones as a birth present but they just didn't fit over my swollen legs. I ended up wearing trackies & a t-shirt to bed.

I slept in jammie pants and a t-shirt, the waist was fairly high. During the day I wore pants with elastic that sat on the waist and then when I got home I wore trackies. I found my normal knickers worked fine (I didn't have to buy any grannie knikcers) as the c section cut is fairly low. I didn't have any problems with my cesear and recovered really well very quickly.

Go the flannie jammies and trackies and t-shirts for during the day.

I'd also recommend the high-waisted "firmer" undies...

Thanks guys. I am planing on taking in 4 pairs trackpants. Numerous undies. 3 pairs of PJ's and maybe 1 nightie. Dressing gown-tie around waist? Should I go my hugg boots or some slip on slippers? Plus numerous t-shirts etc. DH will have to do some washing for me. Does this sound ok?

Love

I agree with what everyone has said so far, as for bending over to put on ugg boots... maybe the slip ons are a better idea

I agree with everyone else. As for the slippers get cheap slip on ones that are a size bigger than normal, incase your feet swell heaps. Mine did and took days to go down.

Lut, I had the suppository pain killers, TWICE! YUCKO!!!!LOL!

Thanks, I think I will be pulling out my slip ons from when I had DD. As far as suppositories go, yuck, been there done that from 3rd degree tears. I remember not caring one ounce as it got rid of the pain. Oh the dignity!

Love

Melinda Guest

Nanna knickers are a must! I had an emergency c/s too and didn't realise how irritating my normal scruds would be on the wound! So Nanna knickers are great - they provide a lot of support to your tummy as well as not irritating the wound.

I lived in PJ's the whole time and when I left hospital, I wore elastic-waisted track pants and the like for a few weeks before wearing anything else.

I found I didn't wear shoes/slippers at all in hospital - I was hot enough as it was in my flannie PJ's. I wore socks about most of the time though. On top of that, my feet and legs swelled up a stack more in the few days post birth and only really started to go down a couple of days before I went home, so I'm glad I didn't bother with shoes. I didn't wear my dressing gown either - as I said, I was way too hot!!!

Which hospital are you going to? Hobart Private, Calvary or the Royal??

Hi Melinda am going to the Hobart Private. Now that you mention it I remember my legs and feet sweeling up after DD. DH said they looked like pig hooves (my feet), but he was right I had no ankles and no shape at all.LOL.

Melinda will you be having another c/s or vbac and where are you going to have your litlle girl?

Love

Melinda Guest

Hi Helen,

I had no idea that my swelling could get worse post-birth! It was a real shock to the system! I'd been retaining an awful lot of fluid during Jacob's PG (I lost 15.5kg in only 2w or so post-birth) but blew up like nobody's business whilst in hospital and my BP went through the roof at the same time.......

I will be having a c/s with this little sausage and she will be born at Calvary. I don't know if Bella was born at THPH, but I wasn't very happy at all there when Jacob was born......I had some shocking midwives! Although I guess you can get that anywhere huh!?

Yes I agree with you Melinda about HPH. I had DD there and there were some horrible midwives, I had good night ones though. Spoke to OB about this as I was quite sceptical. She told me that those 'personalities' have since moved on, so I am hoping for a better all round experience. I am also a paranoid about things happening to bubs unexpectantly and wanted to be as close to NICU at the Royal as possible. I know that every hospital can deal with things and get bubs there, but being close aswell just incase made a difference.
    I have heard that Calvary is very nice though.
    Uggh re the swelling, but must have been nice to lose that weight.

Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast