Thread: Clothes for Baby

Default Clothes for Baby

Hey Chicksters,

Just a quick query, did you take your own clothes in for your bub in hospital after it's brith or did you use the Hospital issued ones?

I have been speaking to some ladies who've recently given birth at the local hopsital and they've said the clothes are a bit ratty and have numbering over them looking like prison clothing! I dont want my bub's first pictures to remind me of prison attire!

So, I think I have decided to take our baby's own clothing in...in saying this - what will I need to take? I was hoping just to grab 6 or 8 wondersuits (a couple in 0000 and some 000's) and some singlets, beanie's, mittens - is there anything else I will need clothing wise?

Thanks

Tulip,

The hospital policy for first time mum's here is that they stay in 5 days for vaginal births and 6-7 for c/s - so I was working on that my nappy changing wont be probably too crash hot and in case there is any 'leakage' IYKWIM!

Wow, that sounds great that you can stay that long...do you mind sharing which hospital it is?

I took a few outfits for Milo, but we ended up just wearing the hospital provided ones.

Mainly because if they have to change your baby while you aren't there (in the toilet, shower etc) they don't tend to discriminate and throw everything in the linen bin. We nearly lost our bunny rug this way, luckily a couple of the midwives tracked it down but it took them all day to locate it.

So, make sure the clothes are labelled at least with your surname if you're going to take them.

Ray Ray - Kalgoorlie Regional Hospital.

Yes, labelling - good thinking 99.

Tulip - going home outfit sounds like a beautiful idea.

One piece of advice dont take anything tooo precious, besides the going home outfit, as the meconium is very sticky and stains badly if you dont get it washed asap. I usually get a few jumpsuits from the second hand baby shop for the first few days. I personally dont like the hospital clothes, as they are too impersonal IYKWIM, but that is just my opinion.

First photos baby is goopy and yucky, then in just a nappy, then in a hospital gown ( most times bubs is a day old before first bath) But its gorgeous just the same, I always had too many clothes coz you get sooo many as gifts. and it depends on the size of baby how long its in each size......

Tulip - just a bit of advice. I went to the family birthing centre, but ended being transfered for an emergency c-section. Even though you might only take a day or 2 worth of clothing it is a good idea to have a 2nd bag packed at home where your DH can find it. I did this, so DH knew that if I was to have a longer stay he was to grab that bag. It had extra baby clothes, nappies, PJ's for me etc.

Fee Guest

I didn't even know hospitals provided baby clothes - I thought you had to take your own in. I definitely will be.

I was in a hospital where you had to provide your own clothing, and then transfered to another that was pretty flexable when we arrived they asked did we want to keep clothing her...at that stage it was easier to take the clothes worn previously at the other hospital home and wash for preparation of her arrival.
    Also pop in alittle hat after the birth they wanted one on Eliza to help maintain her body temp, the lady in the next room had twins and was busy sending DH down to the giftshop to buy 2
    Bec

Our hospital only provides bunny rugs, singlets and little baby hospital gowns so I took in some clothes. I found the best thing to use where those little nighties that you can buy - they are long sleeved with buttons down the back, I found them the easiest thing for nappy changing and also for the midwives to check the cord etc. also they were easy to get on and off.

Bon

My boys were really chucky and mucousy in the first few days and DH was having to wash clothes for both bub and me. For some reason they manage to miss the bib!
    Both hospitals I went to only supplied the bedding. I can't remember for sure but it was around 6 wondersuits and singlets I took

Tigergirl1980 Guest

It was recommended to us by the special care nursery nurses that if you are using your own singlets don't use white or pale blue/pink/yellow as these are the kinds the hospital uses. Even if they have your name on them most won't check and just throw them into the nursery linen basket. So we used really brightly coloured ones, bright blues/greens and reds etc. Jonah was actually complimented on his bright singlets and told he added a bit of colour to the room