Thread: Contractions...what are they like?

karen&luke Guest

Default Contractions...what are they like?

Hi ladies
    Not sure if I really want to know the answer to this, but....... can anyone explain what contractions actually feel like?
    :shock: :shock:

mooshie Guest

hi

well for me i think i would describe the real intense contractions in 2nd stage of labour as to be like a cross between the most intense af cramps and also cramping when you have an upset tummy.

the best thing i think about contractions is that each one you have means that you really are one step closer to meeting your baby.

Intense and painful - eekk, you don't want to know! Really really intense cramps is a good way to describe it, it's amazing really when you think about it.

It's different for each woman though of course....

Early contractions just sort of feel like a dull ache, almost like period cramps. The further into labour you go the worse they get. I think in full on the labour the only thing I can liken them too is the worse case of gastro you could ever get. You know the stomach cramps where you get the sweats happening too???

See, Nell was right, you really don't want to know

Take care
    Trish

Mine were like really bad period cramps. At times mine would feel so intense that I ended up throwing up with each one.

As Nell has said you don't want to know.

I found a huge difference between natural contractions and augmented ones. With the oxytocin, they hurt a lot. I have written some detail in my birth story about the contractions.

Debbie Lee Guest

Mine felt like really bad period cramps too.
    As each one came on, I would just buckle over and say "Owwwwww, owwwwww, owwwww" with a few choice profanities thrown in until it was over, LOL.
    I know that some women feel the contractions in their back too.

nicoak Guest

ditto for really bad period pains... like 1 timesworse!!!
    i also threw up alot b/c of the pain.... but it is soooooooo worth it!

You know, I just gave birth to a beautiful little girl just 3 weeks ago, and I find myself knowing that the contractions were really painful, but not able to really put the type of pain into words!!

Weird hey!!

I guess, it is just nature's way of ensuring that we all keep having babies! If we had a clear memory of just how painful it is, we might decide that we don't want more kids!!

Having said all that, the description of intense cramping like when you have gastro or really really bad period pains hit the nail on the head for me.

My 3 labours were all augmented so I never got to experience "normal" contractions other than the period pain I had in the weeks leading up to the births - and I had dilated to atleast 4cm before my labours were inducted.

Hope this helps