Thread: copy of birth notes

Default copy of birth notes

ok so i have read on BB a few times before about how people have gotten a copy of their birth notes, how do u do this?
    do u go to the maternity ward and ask for them, do u have to do it in writting or do u just go to the main desk at the hosp?

I just received mine today. I had to fill out the "freedom/release of information form" at the front desk of the hospital DD was born at and they sent me my file in the mail. HTH

Were you charged anything?

Regards,
    Dianne

no, nothing.

Some hospitals will charge an administration fee, others wont, its purely up to the hospital. You have to make the request in writing, some will accept a written letter others require a proper form of theirs to be filled out. It might be an idea to call and ask for your specific hospital what their policy and procedures are.

I paid heaps to get mine... still waiting on them....
    I called the records dept and they sent me a form. I filled it and sent it back to them and then a few weeks later they called to say that it had been 'approved' (?!) and that they'd make the copies and let me know how much it would be. Then they sent me a bill. I paid that. Now I'm waiting for the actual paperwork.
    This was a private hospital of course.

I paid a $33 admin fee up to 85 pages and above and beyond was more.

Make sure you ask for everything. You will probably need to state exactly what you want, ie medication charts, trace readings, observation notes, etc

I got mine through FOI at the hospital I also got DD's from birth and all her admissions.

I had to pay about $18 for each set of notes, and I asked for everything ~ you have to be really clear about that

They take a few weeks to come though and it depends on how bust the department is, and how big your notes are, DD's were particularly large, but we didn't get charged extra.

i am waiting to get mine so i can also get some legial advise on a few things. i recieved a letter from FOI yesterday to say that they recieved my application with a reference number........now we will see how long it takes for me to get all the paperwork. i also had to pay, and will have to pay more when they advise me of how many pages that are copying

also a private hospital, but it is the same form as public section within the hospital

Cost for gettinf copies of your notes can depend on why you are asking for them, and who fills in the application. At some hospitals, if another health professional applies for them (GP, Ob, IM) then cost may be waived or reduced. Some hospitals give discount if you have a health care card. Ask for the Freedom of Information Officer or Department and you shouldbe able to find out how your hospital does things.

I had to ask specifically for different parts of mine. The CTG? trace was one that wasn't covered under 'birth notes'. Also think about do you want any notes from your pregnancy or just the birth admission. drug chart