Thread: DH's Aunt is a MW at same hospital as my OB

Chalalan Guest

Default DH's Aunt is a MW at same hospital as my OB

I got a referral on Friday to an Ob at a nearby private hospital. I never put 2 & 2 together about where DH's Aunt works as a midwife.

I really, really, REALLY dont want her anywhere near me in labour!! To the point that if she came near me I'd probably ruin the chance for any family Christmases again!

Can I ask my Ob that she not be involved in my labour? Will she still have access to my medical records? There must be some clause for conflict of interest?

Am I better off getting a referral to another Ob and another hospital?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you think its going to make you anxious in labour knowing there is a possibility she might be there, I would change, unless you can speak to her before hand and come to an understanding on how you feel.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oh no I agree with Kelly and maybe have a talk with her about it when you feel ready. I recently found out that a client of mine is a midwife at my obs hospital *blush* and i feel a little bit the same. She is my client and i dont want her to see me in labour thank you very much.

Chances are she may or may not even be rostered on to work when you go into labour but you will need to have a plan in place before hand that makes you feel comfortable.

The midwife who ran the pregnancy classes at my hospital said that you can specifically request to not have a certain midwife, they don't expect you to get along with everyone, so I would say that if you just specify that she is not to be anywhere in the area when you are in labour, it should be cool

Chalalan Guest

Thanks for the advice. I rang my GP surgery today and spoke to the receptionist. She has put in a request for my Dr to give me a referral to another OB who is based at another hossy.

I feel better, having another option.

Thanks for letting me know that I could refuse to have her as my MW, I am sure that I could since there would surely be a conflict of interest / privacy issues if you were forced to have family look after you.

my SIL is a midwife at our public hospital and i requested that she not be involved or given any info about me or my child. the hospital has to respect that.