Thread: Do you have to lose your plug first?

Default Do you have to lose your plug first?

Can your waters break or even leak if you haven't lost your plug? Or would you perhaps lose it at the same time if you hadn't lost it already?

I feel like this is such a silly question, seeing this is bubs #2 but I never went through any of this with my first coz I was induced before anything could happen.

Just wondering if I'm stressing that my waters could be leaking and me not realising when I shouldn't be.

Bel

Bel,

Might be worth ringing the hospital you're booked into for advice. The midwives should be able to ask the right questions to work out what's going on.

Hope everything goes well.

Melissa

First of all don't stress! My hind waters started leaking the Thursday morning, we went into hospital just to check. Been home an hour and lost the plug. Matthew wasn't born for another week.

The hind waters were like a constant stream but not full force... good idea to ask for medical advice if you aren't too sure.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

With Marisa, I got to 5cms then my waters were broken - then the plug came out when I got up to go to the loo. Like the others have said, check with your doctor if you are unsure.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My waters broke at 39 weeks, Aidyn was born the next day... and I never once saw the plug...

I never had a show with either, or any bleeding or loss of plug...
    My hind waters broke on Tuesday with DD#1 & she was born late Thursday afternoon & DD#2, I had contractions at home all day went to hospital at 10pm, at about midnight when hopping up on bed to see how far dialated I was my waters broke & I began pushing!!! Never saw a plug & she was born at 12:31am!

Thanks ladies. I think I was just being paranoid, I haven't had any today and I've been on the go all day. I was going to call the hospital but I just wanted to ask here first. I'd feel pretty stupid if I rang and they said 'have you lost your plug? No, well then you can't be leaking'....

I've got an appt at the hospital first thing in the morning, so I'll bring it up with them then.

Thanks again for your replies.

Bel