thread: drinks for labour

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

drinks for labour

my mw has suggested bringing sports drinks..I've never had any of them, any suggestions?

I cant drink anything blue but thats about the only issue I would have i think.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There was a study with lucozade which showed women who laboured alternating water with lucozade had less keytones in their urine... but who knows if keytones is a normal process in labour, harmful or not.... water is still most important tho
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Jun 2008

...the only thing I could stomach was water. I had a few other sips of juice etc but couldnt handle them.

Jan 2005
    cowtown

yes i left that bit out, she said to alternate them with water.

Jul 2007
    melb

i actually had lemonade while in labour. and water of course

Many people have gatorade and powerade.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2008
    Eastern Surburbs, Melbourne

I took in Primas as they were a small amount and the straw was great.
    No point of getting sports drinks as if you don't like them you won't drink them and its a waste of money. Unless DH likes them
    Have you a cordial or similar drink that you like to make up as needed?
    Maybe take a drink bottle as it won't spill if you have a contraction while drinking.

Jan 2005
    cowtown

yep I think I will take my tupperware bottle. Maybe i should get a few of these sports drinks and try them out tomorrow

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

The red powerade is nice I alternated that and water during DS' birth. It was good too as I'd have use it as a gauge of when to go to the loo. Which I was taught in calmbirthing.

Jun 2008

vodka?

Apr 2008

Salsa-

i just had water and apple juice. I could only drink out of a straw. Weird hey but i wouldnt have a drink unless there was a straw!

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

most sports drinks say not to be consumed while pg or under a certain age....

Jul 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

i had a sip of something other than water (cany remember wat) and i threw up instantly so i stuck to water...lots and lots of it!!

Aug 2006

I drank red gatorade during labour with DD, it was just what DH kept getting for me and I kept drinking it I had a really dry throat from the gas and hadn't eaten and barely drank in three days (very long, drawn out labour). I don't remember drinking much of anything with DS.

Aug 2007

I Had gatorade or powerade cant remember which one - and i also would only drink it thru a straw so DH had to go searching for straws - but i also only drunk it thru the pushing stage - gee that is full on hard work!!!! i definatly worked up a thirst - went thru 2 bottles in 30mins!!!!

Mar 2008
    In my own twisted little universe

i had sustagen primas

Mar 2007

I brought with me about 3 bottles of gatorade into labour with me and didnt' have any!!!
    I had tried a lolly and the sugar in it just made me spew so the drinks certainly weren't appealing to me!

I just had HEAPS of water and ice.... that was all I felt like. I do believe thats all your body needs is just water and ice.

Can't believe you only have 10 days to go!! All the best hun.....

Aug 2008
    Melbourne City

I didn't eat. So I wasn't allowed to eat anything while in labour because my OB said I might throw it up. Instead I was given Sprite and Orange. I remember asking for "Orange juice" than "Sprite". I kept going from one to another. Lol.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

i drank lucozade and water