Thread: Dropping belly's ?

Default Dropping belly's ?

Hi All!

Just thought I'd ask this question due to the fact I'll be a first time mum soon and still don't know entirely what to expect as I have been told some amazing things.

In the last few weeks, my relatives and I have watched my belly drop into a lower position. I was initially carrying our boy higher up and sticking out a fair bit, now he has dropped down really low making it feel like he's ready to pop. Is this normal?

In the last 2 days I've even started to get a funky smell happening from below, which is a tad worrying. The only way I can describe it, is like tom cat.

Your thoughts would be appreciated ladies because I'm wondering if the birth thing is fast approaching or what's happening?

Melissa

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Melissa

Yeh over the last 4 weeks my belly has dropped quite low as well.My doc has said that Gemma is engaged 3/5ths and this is why.Also I have noticed a funky smell to, except mine smells like honey!WEIRD!Apparently all normal though!

Custardtart Guest

Both symptoms sound totally normal to me, the 'funky smell', as much as anything else, is probably due to your body having to eliminate baby's waste as well as your own, I know that my smell bothers me over the past couple of months too, it's changed.
    The baby dropping doesn't mean that birth is imminent, it can happen at any time during the third trimester. Mine dropped noticeably at about 34 weeks this time around.

Kerrie

Melinda Guest

I would say that your baby has dropped into your pelvis now and may be partially engaged. It doesn't necessarily mean that labour is going to happen any time soon as baby's can be head down or engaged very early on, but it is a step in the right direction and means that your baby is getting into a good position ready for when the time comes!

Thanks ladies for the reply...

Our little boy has been head down for the entire pregnancy, it's only now that he feels alot lower down everyday, because of where he allocates his punches. I can sometimes feel him turn his head from side to side, which can become painful and uncomfortable. I've been getting nasty Braxton Hicks contraction's on a off for the past week or so to now. I can lay down or be sitting and then stand up again, and the pain from below can be excruiating, he just feels like he's about to drop right out.

So now I'm just waiting to meet my little man face to face. Hopefully I won't have to wait long for that day to arrive.

Melissa

Hi all!

This week a little extra has been added to my already dropping belly. That is, the muscle separating from the bottom of it. It had been numb for a few days and very sore, so when I had a shower yesterday morning I reached down and began to panic, "where did that bulge come from?!". My doctor said not to worry, it just means physio for me after Benjamin is born to try to get them back in line. Apparently it happens to many women. Something new to me though.

Melissa