Thread: Drugs

Tessa Guest

Default Drugs

hey, im realy scared to give birth, i heard that an epoderal realy hurts is this true would it be worth getting?
    Tessa

Hi Tessa

The epidural does not usually hurt. However the local anaesthetic that is injected into your skin before they put the needle into your spine can be painful.
    Some things that yo are often not told about epidurals are that you will have to have a catheter put into your bladder, you have a much higher chance of having forceps or a vacuum extraction. Some women have reported having pain in there back, where the needle went in, for weeks and even months after. When the drug is injected into your spine your baby also gets a small amount of the drug. The epidural sometimes does not work fully.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Tessa

Like Alan has said you don't really feel the needle.I didn't feel the local either.I also had pain in my back for ages afterwards from where the needle went in. And to top it all off the epidural only numbed my left side!Handy huh!I highly recommend the gas actually. Thats all I really had apart from the spinal tap at the end LOL!(I ended up having an emerg c/s)When used correctly the gas works really well. And brush up on the breathing skills.These really help too!

I would recommend the gas also.
    I found it to be incredibly effective, you just need to time it right, (you need to use it when a contraction is just starting or about to start) which I found easy.

Some people do find that it makes them vomit though, I never experienced this, it just made me feel, act and talk like I was drunk.

Tessa you will be suprised by how much you really can handle while in labour. Yes it is definitely scary but at the same time it is positive thing because it means we will soon be meeting our bubba. I have had an epidural and it didn't hurt to have done (as far as I can remember) and it did take away all my pain, but it also meant I had to have a catheter, I didn't know when to push and the doctor came very close to using forceps to get DS out (thankfully DS cooperated and came by himself). Also I had no sensation whatsover in my lower half until hours later - I couldn't walk, couldn't even move without help. Anyway what I am saying is I know labour and birth is scary but if you do lots of reading (and not listen to horror stories) then you might start to feel better about it. I had a natural birth the second time around and even though it was very painful I found it preferable to having an epidural, because I felt more in control.

Bon

Melody Guest

I am not for or against drug use in labour..... I say go in there with the best intentions & that also includes mum & bub making it through safely (whatever the means)

Having said that though I will point out that the pain of the epi being administered didn't even rank as 50% of my average contraction.... believe me, if you get to the point of opting for an epi, they would be able to pour it out of a concrete mixer for all you will care.

I am not alluding to the 101 implications of drug use vs. drug free I am just addressing the pain issue..... the broader choices are for the individual. Labor hurts no matter how you say it.....

ps. Bon I am hoping to have a drug free birth on #2 so I am pleased to read your experience & comparison.

Tessa Guest

Thank you for your insite on the topic, you guys have helped put my mind at ease, and i think i will look futher into it! i was wondering what exactally is the gas that your talking about ive never heard of it!
    thanks alot,
    Tessa

The gas is nitrogen oxide (I think - somebody tell if I'm wrong!) and the midwife will probably offer it to you first before you try any other drugs. You suck it in through a gas mask or mouth piece during a contraction. It doesn't take away the pain but if used right it can make it seem less intense. If you go to ante-natal classes then this will all be explained to you.

Bon

Kirsty77 Guest

Nope your right Bon! Or otherwise known as laughing gas!(corey had a go and was laughing his head off!)And the gas made me act like I was drunk too !

Oh good, when I typed it it sounded wrong! Like when you write a word down and it looks wrong even though it is spelled right...

Bon

I agree that gas is pretty effective. It didnt really make the pain go away but made me less aware of it.

I found gas made me vomit. The epidural was my lifesaver. i didn't feel a thing (you are so distracted by labour you don't notice anythign else) and it meant I was painfree for the rest of labour. THat was DD1. DD2 was so short that I didn't have drugs, but i used a TENS machine and I think that helped a bit. worth having a look at anyway xoxo

I've had 2 natural births, both long (20hrs), scary and painful. Unfortunately nitrous oxide (gas) doesn't work for me because I stupidly used it recreationally in my early 20's and now it just makes me feel sick. I found it quite relaxing when I used it then, never laughed etc. I had Pethidine with my first labour which just made me feel disconnected mentally, didn't help with the pain, and I've since found out it can have have negative effects on the baby so I refused it for my second labour. I've always been too frightened to have an epidural. TENS doesn't work for me either as I have a weird immunity to electrical current (electric fences on my parents farm never bothered me much, but I think they were pretty low). So I'm at a loss for effective pain relief too... oddly I found that humble breathing helped the most last time.... I mean, it didn't take away the pain but it gave my labour a "rhythm" that i found to be really wonderful. Hot water (on the back in a shower for eg) is surprisingly effective too).... also simply changing position regularly. I've decided pain relief is a state of mind and am keen to explore hypnobirthing this time too.