Thread: Early, On Time, or Late?

Question Early, On Time, or Late?

We've all heard about theories to bring on labour, including having sex. And I've read posts from women on here saying that they tried sex, and it didn't do anything. I am curious though, if it makes a difference if you have sex regularly throughout the third trimester, when many women don't feel like it at all. (understandably!) So here are my questions:
    Did you have regular sex in the last trimester of pregnancy?
    How often, per week, would that be? (roughly)
    Were both of you "satisfied"? (I'm asking because semen is supposed to contain prostaglandins that help ripen the cervix, and female orgasm causes uterine contractions.)
    Did you deliver your baby early, on his/her due date, or late?
    How long was your labour?

For my part, we DTD about 3-4 times per week during both of my previous pregnancies, right up to the end, and usually, we were both satisfied. I went into labour with Elyse the morning after her due date, and she was born 7 hours later. Marieke was 6 days early, and also 7 hours of labour.

We dtd probably 2-3 times a week, ALWAYS satisified, Chelsea was born 3 days early and i had a 10 hour labour.

Personally i think the 'sex to bring on labour' is all a myth!!! It never worked for me... DD just was being stubborn and wouldnt come out any earlier! The dr's told me about 3 weeks prior "She will be here any day now".......yeah right!!!

i feel that DTD throughout pregnancy helps, we DTD 2-3 a week throughout up until 1 week prior to DD being born, she was 1 week early, always satisfied!! longer labour with waters breaking on the tuesday morning DD born 36 hrs later

Ha I can blow this theory out of the water - never DTD at ALL in third tri with DD and she was nearly 4 weeks early.
    With DS we went like rabbits for two weeks before he was due to be induced and nothing...nudder....still had to be induced anyway

Hello I can also blow this theory out of the water, we DTD throughout at least 1-3 times a week (always satisfied), increasing frequency towards the end and DD was born two weeks and several days overdue! No amount of nipple tweaking helped either.

When I reached the third trimester, intercourse was infrequent. Maybe once a week

I can't say it was that satisfying. (I would love to know the secret to being 'satsified' with a big baby bump in the way).

My babies were ALWAYS overdue. Anywhere between 5 days to 10 days overdue.

Well, my DH and I DTD about once a week in the last weeks of the 3rd trimester... it was always satisfying.
    We DTD late the night before Harrison was born... I was very tired and didn't "clean up" afterwards... and woke up at 8:30am with contractions... and had Harrison at 2:29pm.
    So... I believe that it isn't a myth. Harrison was 5 days early

I don't think it works......DF & i have been DTD between1-3 times a week throughout this pg. Both always satisfied i am now 6 days overdue

DH and I DTD at least once a day in the third trimester, very satisfying
    1st Son was born at 37 weeks and 10 hours labour natural birth
    2nd son was born at 42 weeks and 4 hours labour natural birth
    3rd son 39 weeks (induced - unfortunetly) 12 hours after adrenalin x 2 (blood pressure dropped right down)emergency c-section.
    don't think DTD had anything to do with my births, they came when ready.
    beckles

Percy Guest

We hardly did it at all in the third trimester!! Like maybe once or twice? And our DD was five days early and born after a two hour active labour!!

Wow, quite a variety of responses! Seems like regular sex doesn't have that much of an effect. I'd still be kind of curious to see a properly done survey on this.

Myth, myth, myth, myth, myth!

There's also the one that if you don't have sex much in the 1st trimester then the baby is early, again, another myth. I was practically frog-marching DH into the bedroom in the last month or so and he really is fantastic, but it did nothing for me (well, I suppose it kept me happy about being overdue). However, I had a 40-hour labour with 6 hours of pushing (I had a feeling about six hours, sadly I thought that was going to be labour length) and wasn't quite as happy about that.

I've just realised that you're Mama of 2 that was, Cricket... ha, you can change your name but you can't hide from me forever!

Yes, Ryn, it's me. Guess I'll have to try harder to hide next time. I'm going to go put a note in my siggy right now to ease the confusion.

I've never heard the 1st trimester myth. I guess I don't believe that one either, since we pretty much didn't miss a beat, and my bubs were not really late at all.

Ah, your poor DH - such demands you put on him! I'm sure it was really rough time for him. And now he's left with nothing (for a while anyways.)

6 hours of pushing! Aaackk! Your poor bum.

sperm will only bring on labour if your cervix is ripe/ready anyways. regular s e x shouldn't make any difference what so ever.
    my babies come 'late', BD worked last time at 7 days ""overdue"...

My bum? I take it you didn't hear about... the HAND. (No, not my hand, although there's still a gorgeous bruise on there from where they didn't get the vemflon in first try.) I will condense down the birth story and post it, but the birth is at the end of my pregnancy journal for now. I did get a bit worried I'd end up with piles, but got lucky there. Thinking of getting lucky, I best add some contraception to the on-line shopping order, thanks for that reminder!