Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Elective C/S -V- trying natural What to do???????

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland Victoria
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Elective C/S -V- trying natural What to do???????

    Hi there,

    I just have a qst that i would like people to give there honest opinion about.
    Ihave spoken to my DH about it and we just can't seem to decide what i should do.

    I have a broken coccyx bone and it has turned inwards - meaning that the doctors don't know if there is enough room for the babies head to get past. They say i have a choice of trying to have a normal vaginal birth and maybe being able to do it although there is a high risk of my coxycc bone being shattered on the way thru. Or i could elect for a C/S

    I really wanted to try a natural birth but don't want to risk breaking my coxycc bone again and having to have surgery on that, meaning the recovery time is longer than having a C/Section

    Could someone please tell me if they were in my situation what they would do.



    This is my first child.

    thanks

    Jacci

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,756

    Default

    That is a tough situation to be in. I really would hate to have a c/section but if i was in your position i'd opt for the c/s rather than having the coccyx broken again(ouch). But it is ultimatly your descion.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ubiquity
    Posts
    9,922

    Default

    Have you spoken to anyone about positioning? I'm sure there would be some midwives out there who have helped birth babies in you situation so maybe thats something you should look into, ie. birth positions that would give more room between bubs & your coccyx.

    I'll have a search around and see what I can find.

    I'm sure Kelly could do some research for you too! Maybe even ask an expert?

    Goodluck!

    *hugs*
    Cailin

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland Victoria
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Cailin - I had a chat to my midwife and they said that if i just had a normal broken cocyxx bone (some break outwards.. that would of been handy!!) then i would just not be allowed to be sitting or lying down, they said i could ues the birthing stool or lean on my partner. But they still can't tell me if there is going to be enough room or wether the babies head will hit my coxycc bone on the way thru - the other thing that worries me is what if hitting my coxycc bone hurts the baby

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Jacci, why don't you get the Pink Kit? Then you'll be able to see for yourself where your coccyx is sitting? It is a tough one without knowing more info... maybe a second opinion too? I know some people who have had a normal coccyx and it's broken in labour too, despite birthing previous babies fine.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Portland Victoria
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Kelly - Sorry but i have no idea what the Pink kit is. Could you please explain. I'd like to try it

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    Hi Jacci

    Another option is to get a pelvimetry CT scan. This measurers the size of your pelvis and may tell you if there is enough room for that baby to come out vaginally.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    6,975

    Default

    This is a really interesting thread... My coccyx has interfered with my labours (2) drawing them out to 20hrs each. Last labour I had a midwife who suggested a lot of positions (leaning forward etc) which was of limited help. It didn't seem to injure my babies though. I too am worried about it with having my third. Yours is a extra tricky situation though... I agree that a scan on the coccyx would be a good idea. I'm not sure what i would do in your situation.... perhaps give natural labour a go then rely on having an emergency c/s if necessary? I think I'd get as many professional opinions as possible beforehand and go with the majority.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •