Thread: Engaging

Default Engaging

At the moment bub is 1/5 engaged into my pelvis. Is there anything i can do to encourage him to move down further? Walking is not doing anything because i do it everyday yet he's been like this for 8 weeks, so is there anything else i can do?

Also, if i was to be induced and he was still only 1/5 engaged, would this cause a problem?

Tegan - I am sorry, I don't really have any answers for you. But, my DD's head didn't fully engage until the day before I had her.
    I was told that it can take 2nd pregancies longer for the bubs head to engage. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but, it was true for me.

Lisa

I have heard walking up and down stairs can help, as well as bouncing on a fitball

good luck hunny!

Tegan, I think it is quite common for second and subsequent babies to engage much later than in a first pg - some don't engage til labour.

I know subsequent babies usually dont engage until labour. But i might be getting induced next week so just looking for ways to make him come down further so i don't have a failed induction.

Oh, OK sorry...hmm...maybe something like acupucture? I know they use this to bring on labour, not sure about engaging though.

OK all I could find on google was

To encourage your baby's head to engage you need to relax your tummy muscles and "dangle your belly" out at the front.
    so maybe all fours?

the fitball might be a go-er too.

I was the same - with #1 I was induced at 38 weeks - Harry was not engaged at all but it didn't pose a problem with the induction. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for that Rachael, at least its a position i am comfy in!

Jillian, thanks for replying. You've given me some hope!

Tegan I had a CTG when I was 41 weeks and Ned wasn't engaged at all and I went away thinking I'd need to be induced 'cos it would never happen (cervix was fully closed too). That was at 11.30am. I started having contractions at 2.30pm the same day and he was born at 6am the following morning. So don't stress - it could still happen very soon!

tan1979 Guest

Tegan, Rhys wasn't engaged at all until I was in labour and I was induced successfully. I was induced at 9am with his head still high and Rhys was born at 12.30am the following morning. I've also heard the fit balls are good for getting them to move down. Good luck!

Tegan Caleb wasn't fully engaged either till I was in full on labour.
    BTW I just checked out your wedding photos and they are just beautiful, congratulations

I was told to slightly bend my knees and swivel my hips around in a circle.. this helps your pelvis move and open slightly, helping bubs move further down. The same as they tell you to do when in labour to ease the pain (didnt ease it for me though!!) and to help labour along. Whether it works or not i dont know, but was told to do this by a few different midwives when Jesse was taking his time to engage.