Thread: epidurals and scoliosis

Default epidurals and scoliosis

Hi ...

Im currently TTC #1. I just had a question im hoping someone can answer.

I had Scoliosis ( curvature of the spine) and have had 2 operations to correct it. I have had my spine fused and rods put in.

I had the rods taken out 3 years ago however the fusion is still in place.

I wanted to know how this would affect me if i wanted to have an epidural when i was in Labour. I have heard it can be done but only a selected amount of Anesthetists would perform it.

Has anyone been in the same situation or know what happens with this ?

( given my pain threhold, an epidural was looking to be my best option )

Hi Saramac,
    Unfortunately I can't be of any help as I do not know anyone that has been in your particular circumstance.
    But hopefully when you book into your hospital they might be able to make enquiries for you, as to whether the Anesthetists that work there are able to perform an epidural or not.
    Goodluck, and I hope you dont have too much trouble finding one to do it for you...

Pietta Guest

I cant help out with anything either besides the fact that you may suprise yourself with your pain threshold!!

Good Luck!

I hope i do!!! 8-[

I have very mild scoliosis (not visible unless you know to look for it). I had an epidural for labour but since I have not had my spine fused I think that the circumstances are a bit differant. I think the other girls are right. It might be best to discuss your options with your care provider. If you are determined to have an epidural and the hospital you have chosen won't do it maybe you can change hospitals.
    good luck