Thread: Epidurals/Spinal

Default Epidurals/Spinal

I have not long had my 3rd C.S.. After my last 2 I had some mild discomfort where I had the Epi/spinal.. Every now and then I would get a horrible feeling from the injection site down to my knee's.. Very hard to describe but it would happen if I saw something gross like an operation on tv or somehting.. So i assumed it was psychological as I would get it if someone told me something gross as well.. kwim??

anyways... since my last C/s I have felt a stinging sensation at the injection site and I can't bend backwards it hurts right in that spot.. It is excruiating or anything but very uncomfortable. I will mention this at my check up next week

but was wondering if anyone else had something similar ?? I have been told it can take up to 18 months to "heal" from the Epi/spinal.. And I thought having 3 of them in 4 years might have been too much and it might take longer to heal

18 months? Really? I was supposed to be up on my feet the next morning! Sounds like you had more sympathetic doctor/midwives. But no, I had epis and a spinal and haven't had that, but then my body is still recovering from the other violations I had done to it at my husband's consent.

With the 18 months I was not sure it was just what someone told me..

Sorry you have other troubles.. General life is fine with my back just the odd twinge but I was curious if others had it as wel

Enchanted Guest

I had an epidural and the only thing that happened to me was that my spine felt like it was very unstable...

I would call the hospital and see if you can speak with your anetheitist (sp?!). I spoke with mine after Oscar was born and he was amazing...

Nic - I had a pain that I would get in the very spot of the epi/spinal (i tried both) and it didn't go away for MONTHS. a year later, it is gone, but is still tender if I push my back up against something, just in that one spot though. Not sure if it is the same as what you are feeling, but hope this helps in some way. :-)

Hi nic

I had the spinal fluid leak that gets 'mentioned' in prenatal classes as being a risk (no way does it come close to describing the feeling that your head is going to explode if you lift it off the pillow!). My anaesthetist came in and described how he thought it might have happened (three different tries since the first didn't work completely, second didn't go in and third time lucky!). They then did another epi for a blood patch (ouchies! the spinal was much more gentle). That thankfully fixed it and I'd only had the problem for just over a day in total (came up on day 3).

But I had no ongoing probs. The reason I included the whole spiel was that the number of times you had the needle would increase the risk of something happening I guess. Try to talk to the anaesthetist to see if there was something untoward during the procedure that might explain it. Also, is there a chance you could have an infection?

Oshani - I will ask at my check up next week but if I don't get some answers I will try the hospital

Acriynsmum: Thats how I feel. it is just there in the one spot and I got DH to check and see if it is the injection site and he can see 2 small needle marks

Jennifer: I can't imagine how that must have felt.. I don't think I have an infection as everything looks good on my spine.. just feels weird..

hi aussienic

I get that same sensation when i arch my back... it actually is the same sensation as when i got the epi done.. like the needle is going in... i too will be asking about it at my checkup.

kirsty_lee Guest

I also have to speak to my OB about epidurals.... Im not sure if many of you have scoliosis out there. But from what my midwife has told me that i might not be able to have an epidural due to my scoliosis but she was also saying that if it comes down to an emergency cesar if i can't have an epidural then i will have to be completely knocked out for the birth of my baby, im a bit freaked out to be honest. I mean im sure every woman is scared of going into labour and giving birth for the first time.. but i dont want to miss the birth completely cause im drugged out!! if any of you have any experience with this i would love to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by sirenz View Post
    hi aussienic

I get that same sensation when i arch my back... it actually is the same sensation as when i got the epi done.. like the needle is going in... i too will be asking about it at my checkup.
    I am glad you know what i mean and that I am not that only one

Kristy=lee- I have scoliosis. I don't know how bad it is now as I haven't had a back Xray on years

kirsty_lee Guest

Aussienic- I haven't had an xray in years either! But apparently i've got to go see my OB so he can let me know about the birth etc and how we have to go about it... im praying i dont have to be knocked out, but if that's the only way for our DD to be delievered healthy and safe then so be it i suppose

How bad was your at your last Xray? I know mine was sort of S shaped then it slowly starting correcting itself (?)

Kirsty Lee, an ex-member (or non-posting now member) called B456 was knocked out for the birth of her first, which was supposed to be a planned caeser but ended up an emergency caeser - I'm sure if you do a search for her posts in the birth section you will find her story. That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

kirsty_lee Guest

AussieNic - it was done sooo long ago but it was an S shape as well.. but physio's over the years have told me that i should of been put into a cast when i was younger but doctors never did it so im guessing now at 21 it would be too late. And Rosehip, i will definately look up her posts, hopefully they are still floating about, it would be good to see her story. But a few women have said if i can't have an epidural i can have a spinal block.. but isn't that the same thing just without them having to keep toping it up?

I had a spinal and an epi and I believe they took the epi tubes out and put the spinal ones in, I didn't have to go on my side twice, I do remember that much.

kirsty_lee Guest

yeah see i thought an epidural was where the needle stayed in your back with a chord coming over your shoulder where they kept re filling it.. and then a spinal block is just a needle that doesnt stay there... hrmm think maybe i should read and find out what the difference is.. but im trying to stay away from the scary stories that are out there on the net lol

Mine isn't a horror story, or at least I don't intend it to be, it's quite amusing from a third person's PoV (if you stay away from the debriefing). But it is a warning of what happens the second you walk into a hospital - the midwives know better than anyone else what's going on and Obs don't like to feel left out so want to get involved in THE most painful of ways.