Thread: Episiotomies - to cut or not to cut?

Default Episiotomies - to cut or not to cut?

Hi,

Not pregnant yet, but trying to find out about a few problems (fears) prior to conceiving. Thinking of trying in the next few months.

For those of you who've had babies already, what are your views on episiotomies? And those who have not opted for one, are there any tips and preparations to prevent tearing?

THANKS a bunch!

Elaine

In my experience it was not a matter of choosing whether or not to have an epis, it was just done at the discretion of the doctor. I had an epis first time, then second time I tore and I do think the area felt better and healed better after the tear.

Bon

mizzsocial Guest

I needed forceps to get my son out, so i didnt have a choice on having the epesionmy(cant spell) or not.. either way he wasnt going to get through, so something had to be done..
    To be honest, the recovery wasnt as bad as i thought it would be.. i think for about a week i felt like i couldnt sit down lol, but i was impressed on how quick your body heals..

Tigergirl1980 Guest

My son needed forceps to get him out too as he was stuck so I had an episiotomy too. It didn't feel as bad as I thought it would afterwards. It healed nicely and pretty quickly too. The best things to have if you have to have one are, kleenex cottonelle toliet paper and really thick maternity pads (they give you extra padding to that area). But honestly if you absolutely do need one it's not that bad, and I really wouldn't worry about it as you may not even need one and I'm sure when you are labouring you won't even care

I completley agree with tigergirl! while you are labouring you wont even care!! and the recovery isnt all that bad.

I tore with #1 & had to have an episiotomy with #2 as she had stopped breathing...
    I didnt care at all, even if they'd used a chainsaw as long as my precious bubs was OK...

I healed better from the tear, but it still wasnt bad, no pain relief just a quick cut & my princess was safe...
    Totally worth it & was the least of my concerns when I was in labour!

I have had 2 births and two episiotomys and agree with other girls once your near the end of labour you really don't care if they say they are going to pull the scissors out. I started to tear with my first born, and the 2nd they said they needed him out in a hurry due to distress.

I healed quicker the 2nd time and thanks to Voltaren Suppositries for taking the pain away Better than the ice packs i got the first time LOL

Love

Thank you all so much for the info. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I wont give you an opinion but just a few facts, to help you decide for yourself if you would like to try to avoid an episiotomy or ask for one.

1. Tears heal better than cuts.
    2. Tears are less likely to get to 3rd and 4th degree stage. When you cut ou are gaurenteed 2nd degree and can tear from there.
    3. There is a thrid posibility of neither tearing or cutting.
    There are other pionts here but you can fnd out more as you choose to. These are the main things.

If you choose to avoid one you can do a few things to lessen the chances of your perinium tearing.
    1. Choose an active position, being on your back is the most likely position to cause a tear.
    2. Have your baby in the water. Almost no chance of tearing.
    3. Hot packs on your perinium during crowning and birth.
    4. Massage during crowning and birth.
    5. Work with your body and dont do prolonged pushing, or big breath holding.
    6. Work with the midwife, she can help you know when to just brethe gently.
    7. Breathe the baby out dont push. You can in many births let the uterus push the baby out.

There are more but you can find them too, when you are ready. Let me know if you would like to be directed to helpful sites.

Cheers

i will let you know my experience with eppisotamy. i have had 5 bubs, and as all the girls said when you are labouring it doesnt really care, you just wont bub out, but after saying that i would prefer to tear.

1st bub, they cut me, then the scissors were blunt, sio they got a second pair, they were also blunt,luckily the 3rd pair were sharp, but this left me with a third degree tear,haid to sit on a funny cushion for 2 weeks, had to be put on a special diet, had to have laxatives.

2nd bub, they also cut me

3rd bub, he was in a hurry i only just got to the hospital,so i tore, but i healed so much quicker than my previous 2.

4th & 5th bub, i assumed i would be cut, but i had a great midwife who helped me breath and not push to much, so i did not tear or have to be cut.I was always told since my first was cut i always would be, but with a good midwife,doc,birthing attendant,duola, who know what they are doing will help you breath the way through.

good luck

chrissy :flower:

I had an epitisomy with #1. It didn't bother me and healing was fine, I had no pain or anything afterwards.

With #2 I never had any epitisomy or tearing, although I did feel like I was being split into 2. I found this labour a lot harder and more painful, I am not sure if it was b/c I didn't have an epitisomy done or that I didn't take any drugs.

I can't thank you all enough for the information that you have all given me. My friend is 5 months pregnant... and she is wondering whether to have an episiotomy. And to tell you the truth, it is one of those things i'd be scared about too. But I feel a little better, with all this info.

A few other questions,... if you are torn or cut, are there anything that would facilitate healing? And what is the difference between a doula and a midwife? I've never heard of the term doula before. Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks.

There are things that ease the pain and facilitate healing. A midwife or doula could help you find them all but they include things like using a clean water filled sauce bottle to "skwirt" your genitals whilst urinating to dilute the urine which can sting. Use a hair dryer to dry the region afterwards. Use a frozen sanitary pad for pain relief in the first day or so.
    Apply Witch Hazel to a pad or cotton balls and place on the perunium for relief and as an astringent.

There are more but that is a good start.

A doula is different from a midwife in that they do not do anything clinical like VE's or palpate for the baby etc. They provide inforational, physical and eotional support through out the pg and birth and early weeks. I think there is info on Doulas on this site and there are tonnes of site that explain it too. Google Doula. Belly Belly has a new page about finding thm that will be up soon.

Cheers

Thank you very much Philippa.

Cheers,
    Elaine

I had vaccum extraction used as she was stuck but suprisingly i never had an episiotomy but i did have a 2nd degree tear. Healing took about 2-3 weeks. I would prefer to tear than to be cut just because the healing seems to be quicker and better. But I honestly didn't feel that i tore, i had to ask. So i doubt i would have felt being cut either.

lisah Guest

HI.

I WOULD GIVE YOU ONE PEICE OF ADVISE, GET A GOOD MIDWIFE AND LET HER GUIDE YOU AS TO WHEN TO PUSH. MY EXPERIENCE WAS A YEAR AGO, I BELIEVE MY MIDWIFE WASNT ALL THAT COMPETENT SHE DIDNT COMMUNICATE WITH ME THAT WELL. I NOW BELIEVE I SHOULD HAVE PUSHED SLOWER WITH BREAKS [ AS THIS IS WHAT I HAVE READ AND SEEN ON BIRTH VIDEOS] I DIDNT DO THIS AND MY BABY POPPED OUT AFTER JUST A FEW PUSHES. THE MIDWIFE BASICALLY HAD TO CATCH HER LIKE A FOOTY BALL SHE CAME OUT THAT QUICK. AS A RESULT I HAD 3RD DEGREE TEARS.
    I NOW RECALL ONE MIDWIFE SAYING THE SLOWER YOU PUSH THE LESS LIKELY YOU ARE TO TEAR.
    I WILL BE TESTING THIS THEORY NEXT TIME..

GOOD LUK WITH IT!!! :

Thanks for the tip lisah.