Thread: Episiotomy.

Default Episiotomy.

Just wondering if i need to have one of these ifi had one with my first.
    My dd was delivered with the help of vacum suction and i had tearing and episiotomy.I know scarring doesnt stretch but last night in bed i was just thinking im not going to get a labour thats relativley natural if i have to have this.Im worrying already! grrr.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's common practice to have an episiotomy when vacuum or forceps are used. You can always say no - never underestimate your power and choices. It is not a routine procedure and it is okay to say NO!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Caddie, like Kelly said, you can refuse one, because you don't know how things are going to stretch when the time comes. I had one with #1, but with the girls, I just tore a little, and both in different places to where the episiotomy was done.

I think (and Kelly, please correct me if I am wrong) it helps too depending on how you are positioned during the final stages of birth as to the pressure placed on the perenium IYKWIM?

Also, it would be a different birth altogether, so things will be different anyway.

With Nicholas I had an epitisomy but didn't end up needing to have one with Declan. You may not need to have one done this time around. If you don't want one just say no.

Good luck.

hi caddie

with my first 2 i had an episitomy, no 3 i tore, but no 4 & 5, no tear no episitomy!

but had a great midwife that helped me so i wouldnt tear for the last two, made a big point of telling me not to push, just pant, when the tearing could of started, i have also heard of the postioning helps alot to. :flower:

Okay,thanks girls.I hope i can do this when the time comes.I will make sure i tell the midwife my wishes at my bookin appointment.