Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPO question (TMI)

Default EPO question (TMI)

Bit of an embarrassing question... I'm going to start using EPO capsules in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if it's okay to DTD after you've inserted them or if it's best to plan to DTD at other times of the day? Obviously I'm not talking about taking the EPO orally LOL. What have other people done about this issue?

Oops maybe this would have been better in the 3rd tri discussion section?? Mods, feel free to move it to where ever's appropriate!

DTD after inserting EPO will not do you any harm but things could get very messy

wowzah Guest

Hi

Can I plead ignorance here... What's EPO? Is it something you are supposed to do? How much do you insert? I've just never heard of it and wondering if I should do it soon too! (I'm 33weeks).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Evening Primrose Oil - helps ripen the cervix, contains a substance that mimicks a hormone.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Angel,
    You can bd as much as you like after inserting the capsules but it will be a bit oily up there!
    Wait for an hour or so until they have melted nicely - as you know seminal fluid has prostaglandins in it as well so the more the merrier I say!

EPO = Evening Primrose Oil. It is a capsule and you insert 3 of them into your vagina as high as you can. You can also take them orally. As Kelly said they help to ripen your cervix. I would suggest you start using them after 37 weeks

wowzah Guest

Hi, thanks for that.

That's 3 a day I'm guessing? What dosage? (hmmm if they even do have EPO in different dosages - can't say I've ever checked!)

I have my fingers crossed for a VBAC - is it still okay to give them a go?

You can get differing doseages 3 x 1000mg capsules inserted and I personally recommend you take the recommended daily doseage on the bottle orally as well. Ensure your fingers are clean and lie on your left side with a pillow propping up your hips after insertion (try staying in this position for about half an hour.) It's helpful to wear a pad afterward as you will obviously get an oily discharge. As you know don't insert anything into your vagina if you suspect your membranes have ruptured.

If you are planning a VBAC it would be great to try EPO.
    Wishing you a gorgeous birth...

Thanks everyone.

Just another EPO question - how long does it take for the EPO to start helping? If it looks like I'll need to be induced (), say at around 37w, would it be harmful to start using EPO at 35w?

wowzah Guest

Hey Angel

I have just had a c/s booked for 27/3, wondering if I should try the EPO too now as well? Im 35 weeks....

Do you know what you are going to try???

Hey Alana, I think Trish(?) was saying in another thread that it was okay to start EPO orally @ 34w so you could start that now if you're hoping to go into labour naturally before you get to the c/s date. I can't stand swallowing tabs so I'm just going to start the EPO vaginally tomorrow (will be 36w then). Will do 2 capsules daily until 38w and then increase to 3. I'll probably also try using clary sage closer to my EDD.

just confirming - thats 3 at the same time isnt it? Not at 1 tablet 3 different times of the day?

Yeah, 3 at the same time and just before you go to bed is best

Yup 3 at once. Angel, it's only one night. Why not start tonight It's not like it will make you go into labour right away or anything

Also I used Clary sage on my stomach when I was pg with Noah, never did me any good though. Hoping it works for you hun. I guess using the 2 together would be more beneficial too.

wowzah Guest

Wow great, thanks for letting me know!

I will go out and grab some then and give it a burl!

Thanks so much ladies!

I used cauliphium (spelling may be a little out ). It is a homeopathic. It is said to aid the dilation of the cervix and an easier childbirth. It is used from about 35 weeks onward. I used it with all of my pregnancies (except the first). Many women use it when wanting a VBAC - with great effect.
    You would need to consult a homeopath but it is truly worth it in my opinion...

wowzah Guest

Thanks Flowerchild, i will definately look into it. Did it bring you on any earlier or just make things easier?

With the EPO internally, do you need to pin stick the capsules?
    Last edited by wowzah; February 26th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.

I never bothered sticking the capsules. They will disolve themselves anyway with body heat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast