Thread: false Labour? Very long!

Default false Labour? Very long!

Started having contractions Monday arvo. Was tired by 12 so went to sleep and they went away. didn't think that they were strong enough to time. Lost some plug.
    Tuesday morning lost more plug. Contractions 40sec 10 min apart all day. 6.00 got a bit stronger same time apart. Lost more plug From 8.30 i could hardly speak through them and they were 60sec 3min apart. till i was exausted at 2.00 fell asleep.
    Today went to have sex this morning and couldn't cause things have moved. Feel a bone at the front. Went to the midwives this morning to get checked out and they told me False Labour!!! Didn't check the baby's position my bp or anything! Have had more mild contractions all day and the bone is still uncomfortable! And have had more show!
    Is this false labour?
    If it is real labour is my baby getting destressed?
    I feel really uncomfortable!I feel ready to scream!

I wouldn't call it false labour, but maybe pre-labour. In the lead up to giving birth our bodies go through some amazing things & one that some of us are fortunate enough to have is pre-labour. I had it on/off for a week or so but not as full on as you are describing.

I will link in some articles on the main site that are extremely helpful. Doesn't help the frustration though

Early Labour Tips

Labour Signs

Natural Induction Methods

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep like Christy said, I hate the word 'false' labour as it implies that your body isn't doing anything when it is. If you can sleep through your contractions, they stop or slow down at anytime, then it's probably not active labour. But don't dispair, if you have your show, things wont be far off now. You have lots of work ahead of you so relax as much as you can and try and prepare yourself mentally for what's ahead. Your body is doing all it needs to prepare for birth. Your body knows what to do. Trust it
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I hear ya. I had prelabour/false labour too, and mine went for abou 2 weeks - but it was only intense like yours in the wee small hours of the morning.
    Usually I would get up and have a shower to cope with the pain, and then that would help me go back to sleep.
    Its sooooo hard on your body, and your mind, and I feel for you. Try to get plenty of rest when you can, and the rest of the time be in the right positions to help bubs get moving.
    I personally still believe that I had prelabour like this because Jenna was posterior and had she been in the righ position, I may have gone into labour myself rather than being induced. But we will never know

Your probably right Fi - it's not uncommon to have a slow / spurious labour with a posterior bub.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

went back to the midwives and bubs is posterior and they said that the contractions were trying to move her.
    They said my cervix is very ripe and should go into labour when she moves.
    Thankyou for you help!

Haha Katie - same as me When I went - I REALLY went!!!
    Try to do everything you can now to get bubs into the right position - dont rely on bubs moving themselves into the right spot. I spent heaps of time in the last week on all fours, and on my fitball, but unfortunately it made no difference. Hopefully something like this could work for you though!

Katie have a look at the Optimal fetal positioning article, hopefully that can help & I was told to go on all fours with your head close to the ground would help bub turn and to relax. (easier said than done!!)

One of the best things you can do for an OP bub is get your pelvis moving, to help turn the baby. Doing lunges (comfortable, gentle ones), walking stairs and walking in general all help the pelvis move in directions - stairs up and down, walking shifting sideways... so try things that will help turn your baby. If you baby is ROP lie on your right, and for LOP lie on your left.
    Kelly xx

Sorry to say walking did nothing for me either! My neighbours got very used to see us walking up and down the street for the week before I was induced.
    Oh well - I guess it must work for some people or they wouldn't recommend it!

Well my waters broke 9.00 sun morning got to the hospital at 10.40 and Isabelle was born at 10.50. Nearly didnt make it!
    After all that i dont think that she was LOP!
    thankyou for your help!

Congrats - great news

Great news!! Looks like all that work up really helped

Congratulations!!