Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fast Labours - home, ambulance or hospital?

All spontaneous.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and personal accounts.

I'm about a 20-30 min drive to the hospital, assuming labour starts in the middle of the night again and I con convince my husband to spead and run red lights. Many of you have touched on additional issues with fast labours, including what to do with DS, what if I'm alone at home, peak hour traffic (eeekkk!!!), or simply unable to move in time.

It will definetly come up in discussions with my care providers, and I may have to do some heavy reading on birth just in case we are alone. It's a long way off yet, but I'll be sure to let everyone know how I progress through my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    Can I ask if you lovely ladies with such quick labours were induced or went into labour spontaneously?
    Mine was also spontaneous. DS was 13 days overdue, and I had two cervical sweeps in the days leading up to his birth, but these did not trigger the labour I was after. I was told however that I was already 4cms dilated three days before going into labour. My first contraction was at 12:30pm which was strong enough to wake me up and send me to the toilet. They came thick and fast every two minutes from then and I had my husband call the hospital within 20mins. DS arrived at 3:06am at the RBWH Birth Centre.

Jaycee my first and third were spontaneous, no ctx beforehand with dd1 and only mild ones with ds but they started up very strong the instant my waters broke. With dd2 I had leaking hind waters and strong ctx, my waters were broken with her.

quick labours are called precipitate labours (that is less than three hours) if you want to do some research on them. Mine were spontaneous. xxx

Yep both mine were spontaneous, WHAM BAM BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by FarmGirl View Post
    As homebirth has been taken from me as an option, do I call an ambulance or run the risk of not making it in time. Has any had a similar problem and found a compromise?
    Can I ask why homebirth is not an option FarmGirl? Seems like this would be the safest and least stressful option.

1st labour 6hrs - OB stated that next would be very quick
    2nd 2hrs from waters breaking, 12mins of discomfort - OB suggested homebirth as next would be super quick!
    3rd 10mins from start to finish, NO WARNING. Midwife didnt make it!
    4th baby.... Booked into hospital, will birth at home (or where ever the hell i am - maybe bilo!) unattended and then see if i want ambulance or just drive in. Cant see the point of paying $4500 for another unattended birth.

No compromise i could find. OB at hospital (different from other babies) said that id have to be induced at 36weeks (as mine come early)! Hated that solutoin!

Good luck, ill be thinking of you and hope yu can find an answer thats right for you!

my friend lived 40mins out of town and had a very quick labour with her first. We discussed calling an ambulance and meeting them halfway as an option (waiting for the to reach you makes it more likely you;ll have an ambulance baby- when I transferred in labour the senior paramedic told me they are petrified of delivering babies) but in the end she opted for an induction (ARM) in her final week which went well, helped allay her anxiety in the lead up, a situation when induction seems like a good option IMO (I don't think there are many)

If you have an advanced labour or you are worried or you think you are beyond the ppoint of no return, call and ambulance. A midwife is governed by the traffic, so unless they live next door how do you know they will get there when you want? If ambulance need to speak to your treating doctors/ midwife and make a decision not to go with them, then at least is is under best advice, but you still have help around.

What equipment is being left, just in case? Resuscitation equipment? Who is trained to use it if no midwife is around?

Births on the side of the road make great feelgood news stories and young ambos get all warm and fuzzy when their first birth is on the side of the Eastern when it's hailing sideways during peak hour. But if your driver taking you to hospital is so worried about you and not concentrating on the road, then that's too much a risk. Sudden deceleration for example with a seatbelt on in labour is dangerous, even if not in a crash. Just put your well being ahead of everything even the assumption that the traffic will go to plan.

Home or hospital, avoid the inbetween. Hope it goes well.

Ahh the logistics of a fast labour are so difficult aren't they! I'm with Stretcher Bearer on this one, I would be focussing on avoiding the inbetween.

To be honest, I don't think I'd want to be labouring in an ambulance, if I could avoid it.
    I'd be either driving to hospital at the first sign of labour, if the hospital was no more than about 30mins away. That means I'd need a friend/relative to be staying with us to be there for the kids. Otherwise I'd be staying somewhere closer (like a relative) for the last few weeks if I could. I wouldn't take the car if there was any threat of traffic issues at all. And if the labour hit that hard and fast that I couldn't fathom taking the car, then I wouldn't take the car then either. I'd focus on birthing. You could see if your hospital would let you labour at the hospital, that might help with any early labour 'should we go in or not' decisions, if you know they're happy for you to hop under a shower there and keep labouring, even if you're not too far along yet. Not sure how feasible that is.

If there was traffic, or I felt like things were moving too fast, or I couldn't travel comfortably in the car, then I'd go find somewhere comfy to labour at home and call an ambulance. Sometimes people say 'see how you feel and then call an ambulance', but as Stretcher Bearer's sensibly pointed out, what if something goes wrong? Given that after I accidentally birthed at home, and haemhorraged (ah I can never spell that right), and didn't realise I was bleeding (to be fair, the ambos didn't either, my student midwife friend picked it up), I hate to think how things would have ended up if we'd taken things at a more leisurely pace.
    The baby might be fine, but you have you to think of too - the ambulance didn't carry synctocin, any drugs you might need will be at a hospital.

Like I said fast labours are pretty interesting in terms of trying to plan for them! If I had another bub, my plan would definitely involve having someone stay with us for the last period of my pregnancy so I could leave the kids at any moment.

Obviously I haven't got it figured out either, but those are some of my thoughts on the subject. All the best with working through the details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12