Thread: First stage of labour.......

Kirsty77 Guest

Default First stage of labour.......

Hi Girls

This morning I started getting irregular contractions(3mins to 30 mins apart).they lasted over 2 1/2 hours and were getting more and more intense.In that time I actually had a midwife appt so she was able to feel the contractions and monitor Gemma.She confirmed that they were contractions and that I'd probably be in again by the end of the day.Problem is that they slowly stopped and I now have period pain and really really sore lower back pain instead!Is there a reason why they could have stopped?Am I still in first stage labour or was it false?The funny thing is Monday night I woke at 1am with really really painful period and lower back pain.I could handle that pain but it went after about an hour.Is this leading anywhere?Oh and the midwife said that Gemma had descended more to 3/5th's so I guess thoses contractions have been working!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.................

the contractions moving into your back could mean that the babies has moved positions, and could be sitting moe on your back than belly, my 2 boys were laying on my spine, and the contractions were felt through my back and lower stomach. very intense. just time the contracgtion, and ALWAYS remember... if in doubt, ring your midwife, or go to hospital. Better safe then sorry!! Good luck

Melody Guest

Simone couldn't be more spot on.....

I have been having this exact thing on & off (although far more frequently over the past week) for the last three weeks. The first few always do a combination of freaking me out & getting me excited/anxious ("Is this it?") but invariably the rule of thumb is 'Are they getting longer, stronger & closer together?' if the answer is no I just try to relax until they either do or dissapate.

lisa&boys Guest

Yeah hun baby has moved around and thats why you are feeling the pains to your back...
    All the best in your birth and look forward to hearing your birth news.

hugs

Kirsty77 Guest

Well this morning I can still feel small contractions and mild period pain.I was totally exhausted last night after only 2 1/2 hours of contractions!Didn't realise how it really does tire you.Hopefully something develops today.thanks for all of your advice ........................

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey Kirsty, hope you've been getting lots of rest! First stage of labour is the contractions, second stage is pushing - I know what you meant though, early labour Early labour is 1cms to 4cms dilation.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks Kelly, figured someone would know what I meant!.....still pregnant and frustrated....last night when I went to bed I had mild contractions again, then at 3am I was woken up by more and painful period pain that spread around my back!Surely early labour doesn't go on forever!!!!I seem to be consumed and obsessed with when this little girl is going to make an appearance.Its just so frustrating with all this contractions that don't lead anywhere #-o

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I know sweety, it's very frustrating! But all these early contractions you are having now aren't useless. They are actually starting the work early too - they say that these early 'preparation' contractions help with your body's build up to labour - better than having none and it being a more intense and short labour with no warning! So this could be a blessing in disguise! Your body is working, but just in small, short bursts - they aren't just headache pains that hurt and do nothing for us It wont be long now, especially if you are getting the contractions you can feel around your back - good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.