Thread: Fit ball for labour

Default Fit ball for labour

Did anyone use a fit ball during labour? Did you find it help any? Especially if bub was not fully engaged.

Good question. I'm keen to hear too...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Fitballs are great for labour, especially early labour. Towards the end of labour you want to free up that end of your body though, but definitely early/mid labour. Keeps your pelvis in a good possie and you can rock and roll on it Many mums I support sit on fit balls and lean forwards on a bed thats been elevated.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I used the fit ball all through my (short) labour and highly recommend it. It was so comfortable (well, as much as you CAN be in labour!), and leaning against a chair or bed, i didnt want to be anywhere else. Lying down was so painful, and i refused to be on my back because it was the most painful position. However, It was difficult to move from the Ball to the bed when it was finally "time", also when the midwives needed to do my internals it wasnt possible sitting on the ball, so i needed to get on the bed for them aswell.

But, as I said before, i couldnt recommend it more... It was my saviour, and i honestly believe i wouldnt have had such a positive experience if a ball wasnt there! I would also recommend buying your own for home, so you can get used to siting on it, some ladies find it hard if they havent actually sat on one prior to labour.

Love love LOVED the fitball during my first labour!
    I was induced and used it for about the first 5-6 hours to help baby move down and rocking and rolling around on it felt soooooo good to my hips and pelvis. It was wonderful and the first thing written in my birth prefs for this labour is "I would like access to a fitball!"
    They really are wonderful.

I used the fit ball in the shower, just sitting there rocking backwards & forwards witht the hot water running down my back. Loved it!!

I used a fit ball in the last few weeks while I was having all the prelabour. It felt like the only way I could stretch the side ligaments and in my back.
    During labour I was just one all fours and couldn't move, so I was just draped over a bean bag.
    Our birthing suites each have a fitball and a beanbag to use.

I tried the fit ball with Glenn but its was too small for me. I have one at home & will use it while I am labouring at home. But the one the hospital has is made for short people.