Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granny knickers needed after giving birth?

julesr Guest

Default Granny knickers needed after giving birth?

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I have heard that it is a good idea to wear big granny knickers or bike pants after giving birth to help support the area and "hold you in". Is this true????

I found it to help a lot. As, if you wear hipsters, your tum will just hang over it and stretch even more.

Not necessary, but nice and secure and comfy feeling......especially when you are wearing big maternity pads.......I wore the cotton/lycra high leg style from Target? Comfy but not too granny IYKWIM?

The other advantage is that if you get some blood on them its no biggy because they're not your nice nickers IYKWIM.

DoubleK Guest

my mum suggested i buy some 'granny knickers'

i live in g-strings constantly, so i'm trying to get used to these things!

i would imagine they would be more comfy to wear with maternity pads, and just a bit more support...

I wore them too, I hated them, but it really did help hold the first big maternity pad they give you to wear (looks like a disposable nappy without the tabs). After about a week I was wearing normal pants again. I had the big full briefs.

The granny undies are great after a c/s because they won't rub on the wound at all.

I bought a pack of 6 larger BLACK granny knickers with support... They were the way to go.... Make sure they are dark colours I now have worn them again since getting AF.... They are my AF knickers!

I've kept mine too and wear them every time I have a baby.

Sal Guest

Go the granny nickers! With the HUGE pads you need post partum, they feel much better, plus your tummy has this weird stretchy bloat to it for a few weeks and it's nice to hold it in

As the other girls have said go the granny knickers, esp. with the huge maternity pads you need to wear. I bought some full brief, lacy ones from Best and Less and they were so comfy and I use them now when I have AF.

I was given some disposable undies by the hospital, but they were even worse than the granny knickers I'd bought myself!!

This was a great tip I had during pg and I definitely needed them for a few weeks because I'd had a caesar and the scar sits right where my normal undies end.

Remember also that even if you aren't having an elective c/s there is always a chance you'll need an emergency c/s so it might be a good idea to keep them in the bag for that reason. I know it's not a positive thing to think of when preparing for a birth, but if you're anything like me you like to have all your bases covered and I certainly didn't trust DP to get the right ones if I had to send him to the shops while I was in hospital!

I didnt have C/S but still couldnt live without the HUGE knickers as Kazz says, I use mine now when AF is around & I got mine from Best & Less too!!!!

Before jenna was born I did a big round upof all my nasty old undies, and I used them in the hossy. I think I ended up throwing a few out. Another great suggestion (from Tanya) is to use DP/DH's old undies cause they are really wide across the gusset, and actually pretty comfy with pads!!
    No point in buying new undies until you use up all the old grotty ones around the place, and then post baby you can treat yourself to some new undies (maybe to match new maternity bras if you can do the breastfeeding thing!)

As for post baby - I'm the sameweight I was pre baby #1 and nothing underwear wise fits like it used to. G strings are a little embarrassing cause my tum sort of rolls over them, and I usually need nice big knickers - specially when playing sports.

My best tip is, try a few different sorts, and when you find onethat works, buy it in bulk!!

Kirsty77 Guest

Yep I say go the best and less granny knickers!I lived in them and they were great for holding in maternity pads.

Definitely the way to go... I didn't have a c/s either but thought they were fantastic .

Yup, I used a combo of the black Best'n'Less granny undies for $1.50 each and DH's old black DT style undies.

I love Bonds black cotton with lycra... make you feel so tucked in and snug. Never have to worry about the pad becoming dislodged. Get black so the staining doesn't look so bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast