Thread: Hand on head - how often does that happen?

Question Hand on head - how often does that happen?

My SIL just had her first beautiful little boy, and had a good labour and delivery for the most part, except that she ended up with a substantial tear since the baby came out with his hand on his head. I've heard of that happening to a couple other moms I know, but I'm curious if anyone could tell me how often it happens. It's never happened to me, and I don't want it to!

Happened with my fourth but luckily for me I didn't tear she was only little. Fingers crossed for you.

Regards,
    Dianne

My dh's first daughter came out like that.

I came out waving! Apparently they thought I'd broken my little finger but who knows - they never x-rayed me. I did have a purple bruise on my face.

My Mum didn't tear, but had some grazes. My birth was very fast, all out in one push. I was 6 pound 11 ounces. I was her second bub.

I didn't realise it was common. I had an episotomy with DD2 cause her hand were stuck up the side up there, and the funny thing was for months after thats how she would always sleep, didn't want that arm swaddled, had to sit up tucked against her face.

Pip came out chin on hand, gave me a bit of a tear. And he came out in a rush, stunned himself.

DD came out with her hand on her head but she was two weeks early and a tiny thing so no tears here. Oh and same as shellbell3, that is how DD slept for AGES afterwards so had to swaddle her with that arm free hehe.
    Last edited by Jellyfish; August 21st, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

S came out with his hand on the side of his face, and he slept like that for ages afterwards as well! He was just over 7 pounds, no tears but they did threaten me with an episiotomy because he was taking a while. Had a little bit of grazing but nothing major - healed very quickly.

yep, DS came out like that too, but lukily didmt tear too badly

Yep, my DS was a “compound presentation” with his hand on his head. I had an episiotomy but recovered just fine.

DD1 came out with her hand on her head, (and the cord around her neck and arm twice plus her leg), I had a three-way tear thru to muscle. She was very big on sucking her hands and patting her face for a long time...very cute really.

Well, it sounds like some of you had no major issues even when it did happen. That's a relief. I'll try not to worry too much about it - not like I can change it anyways, right? I've had four great births though, and I just sort of feel like I must be due for some sort of issue! Hoping for a smooth, safe, home (water?) birth.

Me and another BB member who were June 06 Belly Buddies had our babies on the same day and we both had babies with hands up with their heads!!! I don't think either of us tore... i certainly didn't and thankfully i can't remember them threatening to give me an episiotomy (he was my third baby and i had never torn). Mine was a big boy too at 9 pounds. I had a long slow labour and only sustained a graze. I had a doula (Kelly) who was a great advocate against intervention though. It was an induced labour (at 37 weeks) due to me having cholestasis.

When I was born I came out Bum 1st (legs tucked up to my chest) and my hand was down between my knees. They saw something poking out and wondered if it was a foot or a hand, and realized it was a hand, tried to turn me but no such luck. I was 1 month early too, forget my weight but I was in hospital for a while trying to fatten up, but all good. Try not to worry, I am sure my Mum forgot all about it once I was there safe and sound.