Thread: Have you birthed on a Birthing Stool????

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Question Have you birthed on a Birthing Stool????

I am going to Cabrini in Malvern, and from memory they have a birthing stool. I would like to give this a try during delivery as I have a thing about having my bum in my Ob's face and know that I won't relax on all fours, but realise that I may be too tired to maintain a standing position to deliver.

Have you used a birthing stool to deliver?, and if so what did you think of it?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Relle, with some of my clients they are on all fours but leaning up over the head of the bed with a sheet over them (which I keep them covered with). Its a great possie and you can have some privacy. You can try a birth stool but not many (none?) of my clients have used them to birth on - for some of the pushing maybe...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Kelly I had thought of that too, as I know one of his patients that has just delivered leaning over the back of the bed, but for some reason I think I would be self concious! hehehehehe. Do they not find it comfortable enough to actually birth on?

I would have loved one of those ropes that hang down from the ceiling. I forget what they're called, but you hang on to the handle so you're in a proper supported squat. You can pull down on it for help with the pushing as well. They'd be brilliant to try.

Or a beanbag?

Relle,
    I have used a birthing stool for my first labour. I personally didn't like it - I needed to be moving. As Kelly says some women find it helpful in second stage - you can maintain an upright position without the hard work on your legs. I have supported women using a birhing stool that have reported it to be fantastic. One gorgeous woman I was with had to be prised off the toilet as she was pushing (obviously a toilet is a similar size and shape to the stool!). So, some women really find it great. Have you thought of using the fit ball? Similar concept - you are upright and you have more mobility than the stool... All fours is a position that many women find themselves gravitating to. Kelly's idea sounds like it could be a good solution.

I am personally an all fours birther!
    Good luck Relle

Natalie, We posted at the same time. I would love to try that too! Many indigenous cultures use it (the name escapes me...). I pulled down on the top of a low boy wardrobe when I was labouring with my son. It was absolutely fabulous.

Thanks Nat, sadly they don't have one of those in the labour ward.

Deb - that is really interesting, I must admit I found the toilet really diffcult to be on in my first labour, but I am also short and I think I was uncomfortable cause I could not place my feet on the ground properly. I will definately be taking a fitball in case theirs isn't free. Thanks hun!

Kelly - what do you think of trying a fitball or birthing stool for most of the pushing, then moving?????

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Not a fitball, it's good in early labour but you would want to be on something that will freely allow the baby to come down and so you are open. You can push on a stool then move - but you may find something else good in labour and change your mind
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Good point Kelly!

I will ring the hospital to see exactly what they supply in the way of stools, fitball etc.

I gave birth to my first child on a birth stool. I spent all my second stage on it (2 1/2 hours). I was very active right through labour, shower, walking, kneeing, hands and knees, you name it I did it. When the time came to push I couldn't find a position to really 'get into it', I was offered the stool, up until then my midwife was using it as a place to sit, she had to give up her spot I was also exhausted, so sitting on the stool was a great way to keep going and to stay upright. I also found it private as my birth attendant was behind me, my midwife sitting to the side.

It was exactly what I needed. I birthed my 10 pound girl, beautifully on the birth stool.

With my second daughter, I had a birth stool available but didn't want a bar of it, every labour is different.

The stool I used was made of wood in a horse shoe shape with a padded leather seat. I have seen a really funky birth stool/chair last year on ABC The New Inventors (I think thats the programs name?). A midwife in NSW invented a birthing chair with a matching stool for the midwife, it look good, if I come across a link I will post it up.

My only suggestion would be to make sure everything you might want is in sight, ready to use and not left in a cupboard somewhere, otherwise it is easy to forget your options.

Norquesta, the stool you described is like the one at my hospital I think. I agree with you about the privacy thing, but being able to still be upright!

I have googled them as well and seen the really funky purple one that has a back and everything!

Hi Relle
    I spent quite some time (several hours?) on a birthing stool trying to push DS out prior to it being determined that his head was too big for my cervix even though it was fully dilated. I stayed on the stool for a while longer while we waited for the trolley to go to theatre as it was comfy and DH could sit behind me on the end of the bed and support/cuddle me as needed and the m/w sat in front.

I'd say it would be worth giving it a go and see how it feels.

Thanks Blackbird - I think it is definately worth giving it a go too!

Tanby - that is great to hear of another person that has successfully delivered on the birthing stool. My 2nd stage with DS 2 only lasted 14 mins, so heres hoping that it will be that or even quicker.

I really do prefer the idea of my Obs in front of me, but don't want to be stuck on the bed, unless I want to! I also thought, that on the birthing stool like you said, my DH could be supporting me without having to take all of my weight!

Keep the stories coming ladies!

If you look at the website birthrite (make sure it's singular, "birthrites" is a different site) you can see some photos of a birthing stool being used. Follow the links to Education, then Upright Positioning. Then choose Experiences. You can see photos & read stories. If you click on Breech Births, you can even see fabulous pictures of a breech baby being delivered on a birthing stool. The breech birth article is by an OB who does vaginal breech births at the teaching hospital here in Newcastle.
    I've just typed this & I'm not sure if it's OK to refer you to a web site or not...
    Last edited by BellyBelly; March 9th, 2007 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks Castle!

I spent ages on all fours (to be honest i didn't even think of my bum being in the dr's face lol, i can see how it would make u uncomfy tho), but it just got way to painful for me. I then moved to a birthing stool which i delivered on, i found it fantastic. I also liked it because like Blackbird said ~ DH can sit behind u & support/cuddle u