Thread: High BP, inductions & subsequent PGs

Default High BP, inductions & subsequent PGs

Okay so I'm not even PG again yet but I'm already getting worried LOL. With Kynan my BP shot up to 142/102 at 37w and stayed fairly high despite being put on Aldomet. I didn't have any other symptoms of PE or protein present though. I was induced @ 37w5d because of my BP and the fact that Kynan didn't look like he was doing too well on u/s but had a fairly fast, straight forward labour & birth (3.5hrs). So what are the chances that my BP will go up again next PG and I'll have to be induced again?

I would love to go into labour naturally with the next PG but at the same time I'm really scared that I won't cope with it (not that I'd have an induction for non-medical reasons but YKWIM?). Are induced labours usually a lot shorter than natural labours? I expected to be in labour for a very long time with Kynan (the doc did too!) and I also thought the pain was going to be much worse than it was after all that I'd heard about inductions! Now I'm wondering what I'll be like at coping if I have a longer labour with the next one. Can anyone share their experiences with having an easy induction and then going on to have natural labours/births?

As I understand it inductions generally take longer than a spontaneous labour. With an induction you're "forcing" (for want of a better word) your body to have the baby before it is fully ready - so you're starting literally from scratch. With a spontaneous labour your body has had time to prepare - your cervix is softened and somewhat dilated and the process is generally shorter. Perhaps you were almost ready to start on your own with Kynan anyway...I had an induction with my daughter and it took 18 hours
    Not sure about the BP question - a number of factors would come into play there I think.

hi angel

i cant give you much advice on the BP, But i have had 3 natural labours and 2 induced labours ( putting gel in).

my first was a 26 hour labour, 2nd was 6 hours, 3rd was 25minutes, all these 3 were spotaneoue labours, and all natural labours, no drugs, not even gas!

my next 2 were induced as the speed of no.3, and he was 2.5 weeks early weighing 9.5 pounds!

they both were around the 3-4 hour long labours, but since i never worked my way into labour, it was just there with full force, i was given gas, i was dissapointed, but i think it was because my body had no time to work its way up to the real pain, it was just there! IYKWIM.

this time around im hoping for a natural, drug free labour, as my body can adjust to the pain gradually, so the hospital are talking of admitting me, a couple weeks before, so i go into labour naturally, and theres no giving birth in the enterance of the hospital!

i wish you luck :flower:

Thanks everyone. I was already 2-3cm dilated and 50% effaced before the gel went in so I don't know if that helped or not...

Chrissy, good luck for your natural birth!