Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital bag - Do you really need to worry?

Default Hospital bag - Do you really need to worry?

LOL. I know this is no brainer, of course I need to pack a few things. But I just can't be bothered! I figure I will just chuck a few things in a shopping bag on my way out the door! Thrid time round, what do I really need? Pads, change of clothes & well other then the camera etc thats about it! So why do I need to pack a bag for that?

I might go pack a bag now that I have said that, knowing my luck if I don't I will end up in big trouble!

I guess I have more than I need, but in my case last time I wound up in labour for 20 hours & then c/s so was in hospital a lot longer than expected... so I ran out of a few things like underwear etc...

Thats what I am thinking, I remember with my 1st I took so much! Looking back, I might as well have moved in! I'm sure I still took more then I needed with my 2nd as well.

I'd pack an emergency bag for DH to bring in in case what you have isn't enough. You know - a bag with a few more undies, some extra pads, another set of pjs or wahtever.
    The only reason I say put them aside is its alot easier to say to them - can you grab me the PJs I've put aside in this bag and bring them in, then say can you bring me the ones that have stripes/spots/flowers. You know what I mean.
    Also I think that undies would be a good thing to put aside for them. Imagine asking for a few pairs of old knickers, and them bringing in your fav lacy ones, or something that couldn't hold a pad in place.

But I think a fair bit of it is unneccessary.

Thats a good Idea Fi, Thats sort of my point, Why take som mcuh to just take home again.
    I will put it all aside in one place as DH is remarkable at how well he can stuff up the clearest instructions!

Shane is pretty good - But the problem is if I ask for something, and he isn't sure, he will cover his bases and bring 3 times what I wanted just in case he gets it wrong! Like chocolate bars. I ask for just a choccie bar, and he buys 3 to try and get it right. Or maybe he just wants more leftovers

I'm only going to be in for 24hrs this time, so I'll be taking 1 change of clothes, and hopefully thats all I'll need! But I'll still have some packed aside - JIC.

I still need to buy some granny undies! lol, I just haven't been able to find the right ones. I know what I had for the last 2 & what works, but do you think I can find the same this time round!

fiona: i dont think you have much time to find them!!

Danni, I know & guess what! I haven't even got the car AT ALL this week to go look! I can only get to Big W with out the car & I have looked there already, about 3 times! I need to get to best n less. I am pretty sure that Antz pants have the style I want. Might have to ask my mum to go have a look & bring me some. I am sure she will know what type I would need.
    All I have at home a cotton bikini style nikkers that are getting a bit old. So while they are ok for yukky undies that dont matter if I just chuck em out, they wont hold a pad in place very well. I haven't needed good "pad" undies since having Glenn over 2 years ago!
    Maybe I should ring my mum....

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    Also I think that undies would be a good thing to put aside for them. Imagine asking for a few pairs of old knickers, and them bringing in your fav lacy ones, or something that couldn't hold a pad in place.
    ROFL Fi! I once looked after a patient who sent her DH home for more undies. Her instructions were "Go into my underwear drawer and bring me three more pairs of undies"
    he asked "Which ones?" Her reply?
    "Hold them up and if they make you smile, put them back".

Fiona, I hope you can get some undies before you go in! Good luck!

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    "Hold them up and if they make you smile, put them back".

LOVE IT! Although I couldn't use that with DH. Unless I can get to the shops (in the process of sending sms's to mum) my reply will be, "hold them up & if you can see through them put them back, they are too old & wont hold up!""

FJ......I was kind of like you and a bit over the idea of packing a bag. Until I realised that DH would be too busy looking after Liv and Charlie to be bothered with washing/searching for stuff for me, so I ended up taking loads......5 outfits for Lexie, 5 for me, loads of knickers, breast bads, maternity pads, pamper stuff for me, trashy novels..........loads of snacks...laptop...the works......it was well worth it........
    Last edited by Lucy; October 15th, 2006 at 02:39 PM.

motherduck Guest

Packing an extra bag sounds like a good idea, thats what i should of done with my last one beacause my mum wasn't hear for the birth my MIL inssisted on washing and drying my dirty under wear and clothes so my DH didn't have to worry about it ( nice of her but i'm not comfortable with people washing for me).

LMAO MG - That made me laugh out loud!!!
    I just got a couple of pairs of cottontails - they are the plain old granny knickers that go pretty much all the way up, but they are actually pretty tight around the legs, so I reckon they might be OK for a pad. They were pretty cheap.
    I reckon just your basic high briefs would do the job. Actually what is quite good is mens undies? They have a lovely wide crotch, and they stay up pretty well. Can you search through DHs drawers for his old ones?

Im going to go through DF's undies and get some out for my stay in hospital. He has like 100 pairs so im sure he wont miss a few pairs!

got me undies! LOL. Even a spare tooth brush. Now I have no real excuse to not pack the bag.

You never know FJ, maybe Isla is waiting for you to pack your bag so she can come out and play...

Rachel, I was actually thinking that! Well I just finished packing what I think should be what I need. All thats left is too make sure the video camera is charged, Put all the camera's together so they are ready to go, Put the right music onto my MP3 player (including the hypnobirthing stuff). Ummmm bath stuff, shampoo etc & then what? Um just to go into labour I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast