Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how big is your bag??

Default how big is your bag??

Ok.. This is getting a little paranoid I know...

But.. How big was the bag you took to the hospital?? I am getting in early and buying something little each week and popping it aside for my labour bag, then I thought, ***** what If I wander in with this huge bag 6 times the size of anyone elses?? LOL and what if all my things for labour (socks, nibblies for DP etc..) are in this bag and we can not get to it cause it is in another room??

anyhow few questions..

*How big was you bag you took??
    *Did you put the things you needed in labour with your stuff for the stay in hospital??
    *If you did where you able to get to them?? or was your bag somewhere else???

I had two bags, one for labour & one for the hospital stay.

The labour one had munchies, music, aromatherapy oils (which I didn't use) and those sorts of things. It was pretty small, about the size of a handbag really.

My hospital bag was accidentally left in the car & Aaron took it home with him after the birth - he wasn't really thinking at 1.30am! It was the size of an overnight bag. I had 2 pairs of pjs, 2 pairs of pants & a couple of tops as well as all the other bits & pieces I needed.

I probably could have done with a bigger bag though, after everyone bought presents it took Aaron 3 trips to the car before he could take Zander & I down!

LOL at this topic: it was one I worried about heaps when I was preparing for Olivia!!

I had a big overnight/holdall bag for my bag, and was embarrassed at its size! In it I had 3 smaller cloth bags: one for labour, one for baby things, one for my clothes/the hospital stay.

And nappies and maternity pads take up so much room!

Plus I also had some books and nibbles for DH.....

So I ended up taking heaps in, but from memory when we actually arrived at the hospital I just took in my handbag & left all the stuff in the car and made DH get it later......(sneaky!) Although that worked quite well: he annoyed me a bit during labour, so I could "get rid of him" by sending him back out to the car park!!

Coming home some we had even more stuff!

This time round I am working on the same principle: a big holdall carrying 3 cloth bags again, with all the stuff I think I might need.........

LOL - I had a medium sized suitcase on wheels jam-packed with so much stuff. I also had my nappy bag packed with things for the baby. I didn't really have any stuff to take to the birthing suit. I wasn't interested in anything but getting the baby out and forgot to get my socks/munchies etc out of the big bag. The big bag stayed in my room on the ward though..so if I'd wanted to get anything out of it I wouldn't have had access to it. Next time I will have a separate labour bag to take.

Oh...I also brought along my uni bag - thinking I could study while I was "relaxing" in hospital. hehehehe....needless to say I didn't manage to pick up a highlighter at all during my stay. I had no idea how busy babies can keep you!

I had three bags. A labour bag, a baby bag and a bag for when I was staying in hospital. The plan was that we would leave the baby bag and my hospital bag in the boot during labour and after the delivery when I moved into the maternity ward DH would go and get them. Of course the best laid plans go astray and what I didn't count on was a stay in the ante-natal ward so by the time I went into labour DH and I had eaten all our snacks and I'd finished my trashy mags #-o, I ran out of clean clothes so DH had to do a laundry run and after moving rooms three times before I delivered Yasin my neatly packed bags were in total chaos. #-o #-o

Melinda Guest

I had one MASSIVE bag! LOL Like Lucy said, nappies and maternity pads etc can take up heaps of room!! I actually had a separate bag for Jacob's clothes etc too.

I am paranoid now that I haven't packed enough delightful maternity pads..............might have to do a Coles run this afternoon.........

The woman in my room had a big suitcase!!! I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you finally get to hospital, I promise you the size of your bag will be the last thing you are worrying about!

Liek the others, I had a big bag with my stuff and baby things, and then another one for the labour. The labour one barely got used, and I shoudl have arranged things a bit better as I didn't even get into the bag for the first 24hrs. Shane and the nurses got everything, and it was SOOOO frustrating having to direct people to things in my bag in the middle of a contraction!!! Make sure DH/DP goes through the bag too!

Also, maybe pack some sanitary pads in the labour bag, cause the hospital ones were shocking, and all mine were packed in the big bag!! And take lots of plastic shopping bags. Great for dirty washing and separating stuff for the trip home. Also great for wrapping around flower stems for all those bouquets you are going to get!

Best wishes,
    Fi

I took a huge overnight bag in, and a seperate bag for Aidyns things.
    I didnt really pay much attention to what I packed though, and had a severe shortage of clothes in hospital, not to mention many other things.... but I guess thats what happens when you hurridly throw everything together cause your waters have just broken and you need to go in to hospital! 8-[

I took in 3 bags, a labour bag, hospital stay bag and baby bag. Also my own pillow, which was the best thing to have taken.

We had to supply everything, inc nappies, so that's why I had all 3 bags. Although the labour room was where I stayed for the visit, so didn't have to worry about different things in different rooms.

I used the stuff in the labour bag, so it was handy to have all that stuff. (mags, oils, cd's, food for DH)

Even though had all these baby clothes, DH had to go and get more from home as the 0000 all in one suits didn't fit his big feet! lol. Also, even though it was summer, it was freezing in hospital so DH had to get me jumpers and trackies as I only took 3/4's and t-shirts.

HTH's - always pays to be organised I say!

kjorgo1 Guest

I too took 3 bags. I had a labour bag which was like a back pack kind of size. I also had my suitcase on wheels full of clothes (I liked to change out of PJ's and wear pant and shirts during the day plus meternity bras, pads, nursing pads etc. I also had a baby bag which I didn't need until about the 4th day because the hospital provided baby gowns and 1 packet of nappies. I also had both my pillows from home (a boomerang pillow plus one of those full size body pillows). DH went back to the car after the birth for my suitcase and pillows while I was having a shower. He said he felt stupid carrying so many pillows up through the ward!! I can't sleep on my back so I had to have my pillows!!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just take whatever is going to make you comfortable!

Jorja

This thread is good.......makes me remember all sorts of things to pack in my ever-increasingly large hospital bag!!

Totally agree about the pillow thing...hospital pillows are always crinkly....I hate them.......

Default reply

I had 1 bag and in it I had stuff for me and baby, but no bag for labor, it was one of those big surf bags, clothes and then bunny rugs, singlets etc.-Did the hospital give you a list of what to pack for baby?

Default reply

I had 1 bag and in it I had stuff for me and baby, but no bag for labor, it was one of those big surf bags, clothes and then bunny rugs, singlets etc.-Did the hospital give you a list of what to pack for baby?

Default reply

Default reply

I had three small bags, one for labour that was a cloth shopping bag, a nappy bag for Matilda and a small bag for me. On day two DH brought in another cloth shopping bag worth of "stuff" realising I would be longer than we thought with the c/s. and that bag had more nappies & maternity pads that I knew I'd need after I went through the hospital's supplies

Fire Fly Guest

Lol, sounds like I under packed with the first. Gee you girls know how to pack.

I just had 1 medium sized bag. I stayed for the suggested length of time which was 3 days so i took 4 changes of clothes, pjs, slippers, 3 packs of pads (which werent enough), box of breast pads, some nappies because our hospital doesnt supply which is fair enough, clean undies (lol which i didnt bring enough of), a change of clothes for DD as hospital clothed her till we went home which was fine by me, oh and of course her first teddy bear Dee Cee. Pretty basic stuff really.

Bring in what ever will make you comfortable for your stay. Your arent a patient remember, your having a baby so make it as memorable as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast