Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can you tell if its BH or labour contractions?

Default How can you tell if its BH or labour contractions?

OK, as the title says, how can you tell?? (feeling a bit dumb here)

I know labour contractions are painful and BH generally are not. But is there anything else, like the location on the pain, or the length of it?

Braxton Hicks (False Labour)
    Contractions are irregular don't get closer together.
    Contractions don't get stronger.
    Contractions tend to be felt mainly in the front of your tummy
    Contractions can last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes
    Walking has no effect on the contractions.
    Cervix doesn't change with contractions.

True Labour
    Contractions are regular and start to get closer together.
    Contractions do get stronger.
    Contractions tend to be felt all over your tummy especially in your groin and your lower back.
    Contractions start of lasting for about 20 seconds and slowly lengthen lasting for up to 90 seconds
    Walking makes the contractions stronger.
    Cervix thins and opens with contractions.

I hope that helps

Cool, ok thanks Alan!

theyve been pretty much the same since like 3:30 am and arent getting any more closer together or anything, though I am feeling them in front of my tummy, low down in my groin, lower back and sometimes my thighs depending on what position I am in at the time. Oh well, i called hospital and they told me to stay at home and call back a few hours later if they are closer together, so i'll see if that happens and if so, then I'll call them again.

mrmoo Guest

When you feel the pain time it. Usually they last about a minute and stop and start up again about 4 - 6 minutes later and repeat... If you're like this for a couple of hours then you can call the hospital. There usual response is "only come in when you feel uncomfortable." Early labour you can walk and pace but do take into consideration your travel time and your ability to cope during transit.

All the best... it's exciting!

Yep, I was going to suggest timing as well.
    Good luck and hope this is the real deal for you. Keeps us posted (if you're up to it)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Sorry to hijack thread Karina, but after reading Alan's response I'm a bit confused. What happens if you are getting irregular contractions that are not painful but increase on walking and movement, they are mainly in the tummy but your cervix is starting to efface? Does that make the contractions BH as I've been calling them or is it a pre-labour thing? I know it can't be true labour as it's not painful enough. I'm obviously silly as I thought BH played a role in starting to efface the cervix prior to the onset of labour. So confusing, all this aches and niggles etc, never know what is real and what is false! Karina, I hope yours is true labour and your holding your little bundle of joy soon (can you send some of those vibes my way!!).

nimchimpsky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karina View Post
    I know labour contractions are painful and BH generally are not.
    That's all I could ever tell the difference between them - as my BH were often regular and lasted quite a while!

Good luck!

oh its so annoying. I am still here, still have exactly the same contrax as before. No closer together or anything like that. Hospital has said to just take it easy at home, have some food, drink and sleep, but its hard because hubby and I got all excited thinking this could be it, but it seems like it probably isnt it. I think we just got too excited too soon. They are still about 5-7 minutes apart and have been since about 3:30am. When I described the contrax to my midwife she said it sounded like i *might* be in early labour, but cant tell unless they get stronger/longer/more frequent. Just a waiting game now i think.

Rachel, i have no idea on the painless contrax/BH...
    I'd love to send you some labour vibes. I jjust dont know if what I have is labour vibes, lol.

All I can say is...its Friday night and the weekend...anything could happen.

I would be getting everything done you needed to do...even if it all stops you'll be organised and occupied!

mrmoo Guest

Karina, you may be in early labour with the "every 5-7 minutes since 3.30am". At this stage as my earlier post, just keep timing them, if it is true labour the time inbetween each contraction will shorten to 3-4 minutes and the length of each contraction is about 45 - 60 seconds. Keep active, do you have a fit ball, they're great for early labour because you can bounce during the contraction. If it's true labour any type of movement will not slow it down, it will remain constant and gradually decrease inbetween each contraction. At this stage you may also feel like being active anyway so... do some nesting stuff! All the best, if it's true labour you'll probably be holding your little bundle of joy this time tomorrow.

Karina
    I would say that you are in early labour.
    I hope you have got your bags packed
    If you can get some sleep then you should. You are going to be working very hard in the next couple of days.

Rachel

Sorry the guide is a little misleading During BH your cervix can and often does get softer and thiner. What it should have said is that with BH your cervix does not open.

Sorry for any confusion but it was very early in the morning

Thanks Alan, it is so confusing at times!

Rachel are you getting contractions??

I am still plodding along, not really any change since this morning except the contrax are a bit longer now, but no closer together. I'm leaking something, which isnt pee. I am hoping it is waters but I dont know. The hospital isnt interested because I'm not having contractions 3-4 minutes apart yet. So I am at home. Have been trying to keep doing stuff to occupy me, and I have had a lot of rest too, but it doesnt feel like anything is really progressing.

so frustrating. Thanks for all your advice and thoughts.

Karina....haven't heard from you today, hoping that those contractions sorted themselves out for you and that you are holding your little one. No contractions for me which is a bugger so thinking that we will be exploring the world of going beyond EDD.

mrmoo Guest

Looks like she was in true labour and now has her little bundle in her arms... woo hoo!!!

Looks like Karina has gone .... I bet that was her waters leaking.

Good on her! Hope all is well.....and she has met her baby now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast